The gaming industry is dead. MS to buy Activision for 70 billion

Started by BananaKing, Jan 18, 2022, 01:41 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

I wonder if this deal will fall apart.

Nvidia gave up on buying arm and Lockheed is having issues buying Aerojet-Rocketdyne. They aren't 1 to 1 comparisons, just high profile examples from a couple days ago.

Nvidia preparing to abandon Arm takeover, Bloomberg reports

FTC Sues to Block Lockheed Martin Corporation's $4.4 Billion Vertical Acquisition of Aerojet Rocketdyne Holdings Inc. | Federal Trade Commission

the-pi-guy

I'm sure it will go through, there's a lot more competition in the gaming industry than the chip industry.

But it's not guaranteed, pretty good chance that it won't go through.

nnodley

Microsoft Confirms Activision Blizzard Will Release Games on PlayStation 'Beyond Existing Agreements'
Microsoft Confirms Activision Blizzard Will Release Games on PlayStation 'Beyond Existing Agreements' - IGN

kitler53

Feb 09, 2022, 05:13 PM Last Edit: Feb 09, 2022, 05:16 PM by kitler53
Microsoft Confirms Activision Blizzard Will Release Games on PlayStation 'Beyond Existing Agreements'
Microsoft Confirms Activision Blizzard Will Release Games on PlayStation 'Beyond Existing Agreements' - IGN
well then i take back all my doom and gloom i guess.  as long as CoD, Diablo, and overwatch remain then i'm happy enough.    crash bandicoot would be the icing on the cake.

i have no expectation of ps support for pc centric franchieses like WoW.   i don't really expect that to come to xbox either to be frank.  all of activision's other IP is small enough to not fret about it going exclusive.   i also have no beef with them making new IPs exclusive,.. to me that's fair.   

it's the taking away established franchises that hurts.  losing things like doom, fallout, Wolfenstein, ect really smarts..

edit: and MS should reboot guitar hero.   at the very least they should make it possible to buy replacement guitars for the existing releases.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

BananaKing

Feb 09, 2022, 05:31 PM Last Edit: Feb 09, 2022, 05:42 PM by BananaKing
I think this is talk to try ease up the scrutiny they are getting for buying ABK.

What really matters here is CoD. Diablo and overwatch skipping PS would only hurt the games and not the platform.

And we know its coming at some point, but MS will say allow gamepass on PS so you can have CoD. And then they will say "we want to put CoD on PS but they don't want it"

Also continue to make available  =/= release new games

This can mean that the games they release on PS due to the agreements they have will still be available after launch and agreement date ends.

the-pi-guy

the-pi-guy

Ahem;

Joy: Xbox job ad suggests it's not done with acquisitions | VGC

Legend

Maybe they'll buy ubisoft :'(

the-pi-guy

Odd, above says Activision voted on it already.

the-pi-guy

At this point I've accepted this is happening, so it would be crazy if it didn't.

If it didn't end up happening, I have to imagine it could put a damper on Sony making any really big acquisitions.

Legend

At this point I've accepted this is happening, so it would be crazy if it didn't.

If it didn't end up happening, I have to imagine it could put a damper on Sony making any really big acquisitions.
I'm still 50 50 on it. No politician cares about Activision but at $70 billion, it's a a prime example of "big tech" getting even more powerful.

Doubt Sony has to worry as much. Anything they buy will be much cheaper and Sony isn't comparable to Microsoft at this level imo.

Dr. Pezus

Odd, above says Activision voted on it already.
Nah Activision has crashed simply because the market is crashing due to inflation concerns along with other stuff. Good buy I think

the-pi-guy

Apr 28, 2022, 04:12 PM Last Edit: Apr 28, 2022, 04:43 PM by the-pi-guy
Nah Activision has crashed simply because the market is crashing due to inflation concerns along with other stuff. Good buy I think
It's a guaranteed $95/share to whoever buys if the deal goes through.

Now it's officially approved by Activision.

98% voted in favor.

kitler53

Apr 28, 2022, 06:15 PM Last Edit: Apr 28, 2022, 06:17 PM by kitler53
It's a guaranteed $95/share to whoever buys if the deal goes through.

Now it's officially approved by Activision.

98% voted in favor.
so are you "all-in"?  in today's shaming market a 23% return on investment is dang good.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

so are you "all-in"?  in today's shaming market a 23% return on investment is dang good.
Nah. I don't invest.

Even if I did, even a 60/40 risk would be pretty big for me.  

Go Up