SteamDeck delayed until February 2022

Started by the-pi-guy, Nov 10, 2021, 07:42 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

"The launch of Steam Deck will be delayed by two months. We're sorry about this--we did our best to work around the global supply chain issues, but due to material shortages, components aren't reaching our manufacturing facilities in time for us to meet our initial launch dates.
Based on our updated build estimates, Steam Deck will start shipping February 2022. This will be the new start date of the reservation queue--you will keep your place in line but dates will shift back accordingly. Reservation date estimates will be updated shortly after this announcement.
Again, we're sorry we won't be able to make our original ship date. We'll continue working to improve reservation dates based on the new timeline, and will keep you updated as we go."

BananaKing

Shame. Looks very promising.

I think I'll wait for a steam deck 2 though, if this one doesn't bomb

kitler53

nice!   ..but where is the angry blogpost?

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

darkknightkryta

I'm guessing they're still having compatability issues with Steam OS.  Hardware seems rather competent.

the-pi-guy

I'm guessing they're still having compatability issues with Steam OS.  Hardware seems rather competent.
There is no compatibility issue.
They can't get enough hardware.
Nintendo massively cut their expected supply:

Nintendo to produce 20% fewer Switches due to chip shortage

Probably saves a lot of money waiting a couple months.

darkknightkryta

There is no compatibility issue.
They can't get enough hardware.
Nintendo massively cut their expected supply:

Nintendo to produce 20% fewer Switches due to chip shortage

Probably saves a lot of money waiting a couple months.
I was seeing on the interwebs that compatibility was still iffy on things.  Proton still has issues.  But Nintendo eating up foundry space is true too.