Unity buys tech from Weta Digital

Started by Legend, Nov 10, 2021, 02:44 AM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

the-pi-guy

I don't know who that is, but that's a lot of money, especially for a company the size of Unity.

Legend

I don't know who that is, but that's a lot of money, especially for a company the size of Unity.
Weta is a massive cgi studio. They're the main studio behind Lord of the Rings, Avatar, and a lot of other major films. Unity bought their technology and tech team while leaving the artists to stay independent.

darkknightkryta

I don't know if that was a good investment or a bad investment.  I would imagine the Weta tech would have custom file formats.  This sounds like a nightmare to disassemble and integrate into Unity.

nnodley

I don't know if that was a good investment or a bad investment.  I would imagine the Weta tech would have custom file formats.  This sounds like a nightmare to disassemble and integrate into Unity.
yeah its an odd pairing for sure.   I'm hoping its like with quixel and epic.  You can still use megascans and quixel tools for other software you just have pay.  If they put weta tools only behind unity to force people to use it, i'll never in a million years use unity.  8)

Legend

yeah its an odd pairing for sure.   I'm hoping its like with quixel and epic.  You can still use megascans and quixel tools for other software you just have pay.  If they put weta tools only behind unity to force people to use it, i'll never in a million years use unity.  8)
Well it's not like you've been using Weta's tools already...

Doubt Unity wants to make it exclusive though. Weta still needs to use it for their own movies and they aren't gonna switch to Unity.