Hype check, will 2021 be a bad year for game releases?

Started by Legend, Apr 16, 2021, 02:57 AM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

It was a bad year.

2022 on the other hand looks to be a historically good year.
Elden Ring, Horizon, Gran Turismo and others in just a few months of the year. With GoW pretty darn likely.

kitler53

Nov 08, 2021, 04:29 PM Last Edit: Nov 08, 2021, 08:02 PM by kitler53
well you were right about horizon not making it.  returnal seems to be a better game than i anticipated though so that's good.   forza is forza imo,.. sure it rates highly but we get one every year so i feel like its easy to ignore.   i think the reviews for halo will make or brake this year as okay or just bad.  too many delays.   

"next year looks insane though"
  ~ kitler53 every holiday season.

i didn't make a big dent in my backlog this year though.   even after getting my ps5 i was basically unable to play anything for the entire 5 months of my home remodel.  and even with my remodel done i've actually gone back to the smaller games instead of the AAA games.  i didn't even get to until dawn...   i just started ni nu kuni II though.    with kena, rachet, returnal shipping this year i feel like my backlog got bigger and not smaller.  oh well.   just justifies me not picking up anything day-1 in 2022.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

forza is forza imo,.. sure it rates highly but we get one every year so i feel like its easy to ignore.  
Well we haven't gotten a Forza in 3 years.
I would also point out Forza and Forza Horizon are fairly different games.
Forza is more of a racing simulator, Horizon is an open world, more arcadey racer. One is more like Gran Turismo, and the other is closer to Ridge Racer.

FM is more of a mid 80's scorer, it's FH that scores in the low 90's (at least out of the last 5 entries)

BananaKing

Early next year looks really good. Better than early this year. But what about late 2022? We will probably get a lot of delays abd it won't be as good as early 2022.

the-pi-guy

Early next year looks really good. Better than early this year. But what about late 2022? We will probably get a lot of delays abd it won't be as good as early 2022.
I think even as it stands, 2022 is a crazy year. Personally Horizon, Elden Ring, God of War by themselves would make for a great year.

Late 2022 will probably see the PSVR2 launch. There will likely be a new Astrobot.

BananaKing

I think even as it stands, 2022 is a crazy year. Personally Horizon, Elden Ring, God of War by themselves would make for a great year.

Late 2022 will probably see the PSVR2 launch. There will likely be a new Astrobot.

Yeah we might get a game if the generation with God of war ragnorak. But I wonder what sony also has.

But im not sure what great third party games are gonna hit next year. Hogwarts legacy? Not sure whats announced that makes me excited.

the-pi-guy

Yeah we might get a game if the generation with God of war ragnorak. But I wonder what sony also has.

But im not sure what great third party games are gonna hit next year. Hogwarts legacy? Not sure whats announced that makes me excited.
Forspoken is aiming for early next year.
Gotham Knights, Hogwarts Legacy, Suicide Squad.
Dead Space is aiming for late next year.

Avatar seems like a likely candidate to get pushed back to 23.  :P

But I'm sure there will be some games announced that make it next year too.

Legend

Starfield if it isn't delayed.

BananaKing

Starfield if it isn't delayed.
I think you're just saying that to me to hurt me :(

Forspoken is aiming for early next year.
Gotham Knights, Hogwarts Legacy, Suicide Squad.
Dead Space is aiming for late next year.

Avatar seems like a likely candidate to get pushed back to 23.  :P

But I'm sure there will be some games announced that make it next year too.
Ohh yeah forgot about avatar. I guess I just don't trust ubisoft to break free from their open world formula. But a farcry avatar would be fun.

Legend

I think you're just saying that to me to hurt me
Oops I guess it's not 3rd party any more. I'm sure it'll suck and be like Fallout 76  :D

I think you're just saying that to me to hurt me :(
Ohh yeah forgot about avatar. I guess I just don't trust ubisoft to break free from their open world formula. But a farcry avatar would be fun.
I just hope the game doesn't get in the way of people enjoying the world. If it sucks but at least is fun to explore I'll be happy.

BananaKing

Oops I guess it's not 3rd party any more. I'm sure it'll suck and be like Fallout 76  :D

I just hope the game doesn't get in the way of people enjoying the world. If it sucks but at least is fun to explore I'll be happy.
What im afraid of is the game being boring to explore. Devs can sure model beautiful worlds, but exploring them because a matter of finding a question mark, to go on a silly quest. Nothing really interesting, nothing that affects  the game, story or world.

I think gameplay will he very fun, exploring will suck.

As for starfield, I feel it will be fire, MS hasn't had enough time owning Bethesda to fudge up their games yet. But I just might end up getting a XSS or a steam deck 2 down the line just to play these games

Go Up