What minor thing grinds your gears atm?

Started by Legend, Feb 02, 2021, 06:26 PM

previous topic - next topic

nnodley and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Go Down

Legend

ah,.  the Sony got an exclusive spiderman in that awful avengers game is the same as buying Activision blizzard argument.  

...you've been reading era I see.  
I saw stuff like that on reddit the other day.

Legend

People wanting dumb pets.

It's fun when a pet does silly things, but this trend really grinds my gears. Almost feels abusive to dismiss a sentient being's wants and needs like that.

the-pi-guy

People wanting dumb pets.

It's fun when a pet does silly things, but this trend really grinds my gears. Almost feels abusive to dismiss a sentient being's wants and needs like that.
Do you have an example of this?

Legend

Do you have an example of this?
Reddit - Dive into anything

The random one that reminded me to bump this thread. I know most people just use the subreddit for cute cat photos, but too many people are weird about it.

kitler53

Explosion:  a large-scale, rapid, or spectacular expansion or bursting out or forth

Implosion: the act or action of bringing to or as if to a center

...you can probably guess how this came to grind my gears today.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

Jun 23, 2023, 01:50 PM Last Edit: Jun 23, 2023, 02:20 PM by the-pi-guy
Explosion:  a large-scale, rapid, or spectacular expansion or bursting out or forth

Implosion: the act or action of bringing to or as if to a center

>the act of imploding; a bursting inward

>to undergo violent compression

If it is an expansion, it is an explosion. 

If it is a contraction, it is an Implosion.

BananaKing

Explosion:  a large-scale, rapid, or spectacular expansion or bursting out or forth

Implosion: the act or action of bringing to or as if to a center

Not sure what grinds your gears here?

kitler53

Not sure what grinds your gears here?
reporting that a submarine "exploded". 

Legend

Not fully grinding my gears, just putting a little bit of torque on them.

This robot company is using human pronouns for its new robot. It's just a machine, call it that. The crazy claims without any videos make it look like shady investor hype.

Legend

People forcing UTC on others.

I try to watch rocket launches yet on reddit they almost always screw up by putting the launch time in UTC. All updates about delays and changes to the launch are in local time, local time is better for the vast majority of people watching, yet they still force UTC. I've missed more than a few minor launches because reddit mods puts the UTC date instead of the local date.

There was enough pushback that they now include local time as well, but they still screw it up and use a 24 hour clock. Just post the time in the exact same way that the launch provider posts it. Not hard at all.

(utc itself is fine and dandy, this server uses it, but it has its time and place)

the-pi-guy

Sorry that's my fault.

I complained one too many times about people not using a universal standard for time. /s

the-pi-guy

It bugs me a lot that people seem like they always have to pick a side.

Before any facts come out, people have already made up their mind on what must have happened or who was responsible or whatever else.

It bugs me in general that people act like they "know" with absolutely no doubt, things that are impossible to know at that point.

Legend

It bugs me a lot that people seem like they always have to pick a side.

Before any facts come out, people have already made up their mind on what must have happened or who was responsible or whatever else.

It bugs me in general that people act like they "know" with absolutely no doubt, things that are impossible to know at that point.
I wouldn't say that's a minor thing haha. It's scary how often nuance is treated as a bad thing.

the-pi-guy

This is nuance related.

People have a lot of trouble understanding specific cases vs general cases.

- poor people tend to have more kids than rich people
- some people don't have kids because they are poor

These two things feel very contradictory even though they're not. An individual can make a choice about something, even though the general trend goes the other way.

kitler53

starting a couple weeks ago every time i log into my work computer the login screen is trying to sell me starfield and after login edge loads up the xbox store.   

fudge off MS.  fudge off.

Go Up