Graphics/Game Development Blog

Started by the-pi-guy, Nov 20, 2020, 03:36 AM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Nov 20, 2020, 03:36 AM Last Edit: Nov 20, 2020, 03:45 AM by the-pi-guy
So my intention here is to share more textbook knowledge.  This is leaning towards a more academic study than most threads of this type are like.  One purpose for this thread, could be to share stuff like GDC talks.  In that case, I think I would probably share the videos and make summaries.  Or if there are any good youtube videos that go into graphics or game development stuff, please share.
I'm also trying to get through some books, and want to share what I learn.  I'm starting off with Real Time Rendering.  

No idea how this is going to go, but I figure it is worth trying.  

Graphics
1.) Graphics Pipeline

the-pi-guy

From the Real Time Rendering textbook chapter 2 by Tomas Akenine-Moller, Erin Haines, Naty Hoffman, Angelo Pesce, Michal Iwanicki, Sebastien Hillaire
if people are interested in learning more.  

(In progress)

Graphics Pipe Line: Stages

Application
Largely executes on the CPU, except that more and more, we see the GPU being used in a similar fashion.

Geometry Processing
Vertex Shading
Two main tasks: compute the position for a vertex, evaluate other vertex output data

Projection
Clipping
Screen Mapping

Rasterization
Triangle setup
Triangle Traversal

Pixel Processing
Pixel Shading
Merging

the-pi-guy

darkknightkryta

I still remember the big thing from the Final Fantasy movie was hair.

Legend

"Knack 3 is going to be a PS6 title. The PS5's puny hardware couldn't handle Knack 3. 800 thousand polygons per second just on the Knack alone."

Random reddit comment, but it's funny how strong modern GPUs are. 800 thousand polygons per second is like nothing. Even 100 million polygons per second is no problem for current gen.