Science General Discussion

Started by Legend, Sep 02, 2014, 07:17 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

the-pi-guy

Science meme.  8)

Legend

Science meme.  8)
Movie science is great. They almost always take something the public has heard about and then apply it in a completely random way. Like how almost everything uses mega space shuttles in the future.

(Prey is a smart game yet how the heck is this rocket supposed to physically fit together. Why does it have both a payload fairing and a shuttle?)

I love when movies actually do the science though. Like you know the water planet in Interstellar? They really did the math to make 1 hour=7 years, but the movie explains it wrong.

the-pi-guy

May 17, 2021, 06:51 PM Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 09:32 PM by the-pi-guy
I love when movies actually do the science though. Like you know the water planet in Interstellar? They really did the math to make 1 hour=7 years, but the movie explains it wrong.
Yep, very familiar.

Probably my favorite TV fact ever, is that for an episode of Futurama, the writer actually made a math proof for the plotlines behind one of the episodes.

Legend

Yep, very familiar.

Probably my favorite TV fact ever, is that for an episode of Futurama, the writer actually a math proof for the plotlines behind one of the episodes.
I only learned about the interstellar fact recently. I knew about Kip Thorne, but I didn't realize he made the black hole spin as the primary way to induce time dilation.

The futurama one is fun. Could have easily just added an extra machine to swap the bodies back, but instead they did the math.

Legend

I've been laughing at my own dumb joke for 15 minutes. Maybe my sense of humor is broken, but I haven't felt this alive in a while.
Still find it funny rofl

the-pi-guy

Neil deGrasse Tyson makes a bad error about the JWST.  
He claims here that JWST is orbiting at L2 in Earth's shadow and that it protects the instruments from the sun.

JWST is not orbiting at L2, it's orbiting around L2, and is in fact never in Earth's shadow.  

Legend

Neil deGrasse Tyson makes a bad error about the JWST.  
He claims here that JWST is orbiting at L2 in Earth's shadow and that it protects the instruments from the sun.

JWST is not orbiting at L2, it's orbiting around L2, and is in fact never in Earth's shadow.  
That's a funny mistake to make. The sun shield is probably the most well known element of the telescope at the moment.

the-pi-guy

I feel like I've been seeing a lot more Neil deGrasse Tyson making more bad takes lately.  

Legend

I feel like I've been seeing a lot more Neil deGrasse Tyson making more bad takes lately.  
He's run out of things to say, so now his only options are repeats or things not worth saying.

Also if you missed my post on his game:

At least he's not as bad as Noam Chomsky yet.

the-pi-guy

I always find it a little interesting when people think they understand light.

There are plenty of lighting conditions in real life that don't look the way most people would expect.  

I think people really underestimate how much light bounces around and how much the color can be affected by these things.  

If you look in an angle towards a mirror, you can see things that are not being shown to the mirror. If you hold your hand up to the mirror, you are able to see the back of your hand in the mirror.

I remember someone was using that as evidence for something because they were certain that it was impossible.

And some of these people, I think are reasonably knowledgeable.  

Legend

Jun 10, 2022, 02:57 AM Last Edit: Jun 10, 2022, 03:22 AM by Legend
I always find it a little interesting when people think they understand light.

There are plenty of lighting conditions in real life that don't look the way most people would expect. 

I think people really underestimate how much light bounces around and how much the color can be affected by these things. 

If you look in an angle towards a mirror, you can see things that are not being shown to the mirror. If you hold your hand up to the mirror, you are able to see the back of your hand in the mirror.

I remember someone was using that as evidence for something because they were certain that it was impossible.

And some of these people, I think are reasonably knowledgeable. 
I don't understand what you mean with the mirror one. Like I think I actually do, but there can't be people that don't understand that right?

On a similar note I think the same thing every time a movie has a character look at themselves in the mirror. Movies often cheat and in real life the person isn't looking at their reflection.

the-pi-guy

I don't understand what you mean with the mirror one. Like I think I actually do, but there can't be people that don't understand that right?

On a similar note I think the same thing every time a movie has a character look at themselves in the mirror. Movies often cheat and in real life the person isn't looking at their reflection.
Maybe a better way to explain it.  

If you try to hide something from a mirror, it's usually not that hard to find an angle where you can see that thing.

Like if you're holding your phone in your hand, there are still quite a few angles of your phone where there isn't a direct line from your phone to the mirror.

And yes, there are people that don't seem to get that.  

Legend

Maybe a better way to explain it.  

If you try to hide something from a mirror, it's usually not that hard to find an angle where you can see that thing.

Like if you're holding your phone in your hand, there are still quite a few angles of your phone where there isn't a direct line from your phone to the mirror.

And yes, there are people that don't seem to get that.  

Here's another one I was just reminded of.

You can see the Moon during the day.

I understand why people associate the Moon with night, but it's pretty funny how common it is to think you can only see it at night.

the-pi-guy

Legend

I love these.  ;D
Science communication is always really interesting. Trying to dumb things down while simultaneously intriguing the viewer.

I wouldn't say "time is not linear" and "the big bang kinda started from a particle," but obviously I'm not a science communicator haha.

Go Up