Started by kitler53, Mar 02, 2015, 07:34 PM

previous topic - next topic

kitler53

I dunno I think MS lives in an augmented reality

lol, too true.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

Oct 31, 2018, 03:32 PM Last Edit: Oct 31, 2018, 03:35 PM by the-pi-guy
I think you were right in a few ways, still would argue you were wrong in others.  

Was looking for a different thread.  Thought it was interesting to see where VR went in 3 years.

Xevross

I think you were right in a few ways, still would argue you were wrong in others.  

Was looking for a different thread.  Thought it was interesting to see where VR went in 3 years.
Hmm yeah its doing better than he expected for sure but its still not much of a success. Needs about 10 more titles like Astro Bot or RE7.

the-pi-guy

So I kind of tagged this earlier, and wanted to come back to it.

>Technology should be social not anti-social:

A few of the biggest VR games are social experiences.  The biggest one is VRChat.  But there's other experiences like the Star Trek, and Keep Talking.  

>VR is too expensive:

Still pretty true.  I think we're slowly getting to the point where this is getting to be less of an issue.  But it's largely on Sony.  Oculus Quest with price cuts could be a game changer though.  

>but the experience... won't happen.

Fairly true.  But Bethesda and Insomniac Games have been really great supporters of VR.  Rockstar Games has something coming, and Valve has 3 major titles coming forward.

>but the experience... sucks for (most) games anyways.

I can now speak on this with actual experience.  
Mapping movement is fine.  It does take away a little bit, but it's still a huge boon to be able to use your hands.  It's still cool to watch the world basically move past you.  

I know a lot of people don't like teleportation, but when you get into it, teleportation actually works amazingly well and it keeps the immersion.  

>but the experience... adds (almost) nothing to movies.

What Legend said a while ago.  
It's actually remarkable how good a headset is at being able to simulate a huge screen.  And yes the headsets are bulky and most people probably don't want to be using one for a whole movie, but we'll get smaller headsets in the future.

>the technology:
Has been surprisingly good.  Sony's pushed a lot of games at a great frame rate.  And all 3 headsets have software to smooth out the experience.  So a 45, or 60 fps experience still usually feels as smooth as a 90/120 fps experience.  

kitler53

when i saw this get necro bumped i assumed someone did it to call me a hypocrite for saying i'll buy psvr this holiday...

i think i was fundamentally right.  vr hasn't done well at market.  i think this is the most accurate thing i said, "this puts it into a chicken or the egg scenario where neither side will want to invest first."

game support is thin and it took years to get to the point where i could find 5+ games i actually want.  thankfully i'm rich enough to drop $200 on 5 or so games and i can be a peace with my limited support before i purchase. 

the-pi-guy

i think i was fundamentally right.  vr hasn't done well at market.  i think this is the most accurate thing i said, "this puts it into a chicken or the egg scenario where neither side will want to invest first."
Yeah, this was pretty right on.  
Hopefully Valve has some solid games for it coming.  

Xevross

when i saw this get necro bumped i assumed someone did it to call me a hypocrite for saying i'll buy psvr this holiday...

game support is thin and it took years to get to the point where i could find 5+ games i actually want.  thankfully i'm rich enough to drop $200 on 5 or so games and i can be a peace with my limited support before i purchase.
Yeah your prediction was fairly good as it turned out, as of now anyway. Who knows what the case will be a few more years down the line though.

Legend

VR is here to stay I think. It's being slow but support is still increasing instead of decreasing. It shouldn't end up like 3d tvs.

the-pi-guy

VR is here to stay I think. It's being slow but support is still increasing instead of decreasing. It shouldn't end up like 3d tvs.
"Shouldn't" he says.  

I'm actually pretty impressed with support.  
A lot of new hardware coming out still, some bigger games still coming.  

the-pi-guy

*Another 3 year bump*

I think I would say that VR is no longer a flop.

I'd say on some level, Meta is basically going to pay to ensure that VR succeeds in the long run. It might not happen today or even next year, but they're putting a lot of funding into making VR happen.

kitler53

I dunno. 

Ms is firmly not going for VR.  that already makes it not "the future of gaming" or whatever I wrote in the OP.  their vision for gamepass actually is diametrically opposed to VR. 

meta can invest all they want but that won't ensure anyone buys it.  

I personally have stopped playing my VR headset.  too few games. too much nausea.  too poorly executed of controls.  

might get the psvr2 but not really sure still.  I don't see much excitement among gamers for it either. 

meta is "desperate" for something to keep them going as Facebook withers away. not sure VR will save them but I guess it's their best chance. 

Go Up