Do you find any game design decisions baffling?

Started by the-pi-guy, Nov 03, 2021, 11:52 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

A lot of design choices make sense, but they're still funny to think about.  

Like usually secrets are put near walls. It wouldn't make sense to put them in the middle and in obvious places. But there's a goofiness that makes it so that the "optimal way to play" requires sticking by walls.  

That's so dorky lol.

I loved the treasures in Uncharted. The best were in full on secret rooms. In Uncharted Golden Abyss there is one that is just so far outside the main level.

kitler53

A lot of design choices make sense, but they're still funny to think about.  

Like usually secrets are put near walls. It wouldn't make sense to put them in the middle and in obvious places. But there's a goofiness that makes it so that the "optimal way to play" requires sticking by walls.  
yeah, but at the same time i hate it too.   

like if a game has hidden collectables and you are going down a stair case i "have to check" behind the stair case to the point i'm almost mad when he hidden collectable isn't there. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

Control - having enemies that only race to get next to you and explode, and then having one enemy do that take almost all your health was frustrating as hell. I dont know what remedy where thinking but it was shame design. Its a shame game anyways.
This pretty much in any game is baffling.  Its the absolute worst type of enemy, imo
Ok elites with energy swords in Halo Combat Evolved suck!

They decide to charge you and its instant death if they get too close. Can't really shoot them from far away and they eat bullets while charging. I don't know what the intended design was beyond just adding a difficult enemy.

Same goes for all the grenades thrown at you. There aren't any ui indicators for it and checkpoints are frequent enough that I've just accepted I'll die randomly every once in a while. If a sticky grenade hits you there is literally nothing you can do. If movement was better dodging could be a kinda fun mechanic but alas.

Go Up