VR will flop

Viewing single post

Started by kitler53, Mar 02, 2015, 07:34 PM

previous topic - next topic

Mmm_fish_tacos

I think you're completely overlooking what VR really is. It's not simply strapping a screen to your face and playing a game nor is it just a game controller. There are some types of games that will excel with VR and others won't. Oddly enough it's not your first person shooter that will benefit from it, unless they really slow it down, and stop using camera gimmicks they currently use now, like step sway and cursor sway. Games like racing sims, or flight sims will certainly be a game changer.

Nobody is going to care what they look like when it's on. Thats like saying nobody is going to ride a roller coaster because they might look like an idiot when the coaster drops. simply, when people are having fun they don't care what they look like.

The anti social comments that come along with VR has simply got to be the most near sighted view one can have. In fact I'd argue that it can be just as social as going to a bar. Just because your body is alone doesn't mean your mind is. Sure, without extra consoles and headsets you won't get to play in a vr world at the same time as your kid, but you can still play a game together as they can control elements of the game or even just watch on tv. And lets be real, outside of a few games here and there, you're not playing the game at the same time. Making it a "take turns" event anyway.

Support is plenty and it will only get better, to many companies are  jumping on board for the support to be dry. Will it be slow? Sure, for a time.  Then just like gaming today there will be more games or experiences that you can shake a stick at.

Expensive, yes. There's no argument there. But Isn't a defining factor of a flop. Everything was expensive at one point. DVD players where over a grand when they first came out, now they are about 25.  Same thing could happen with vr.

@ B) or..   you map movement to a button. I feel the best vr experiences are ones that you don't move, that you're plaster in a chair and forget your body is there. Which will lead us to the next explosion in vr tech is controlling everything you do by just thinking about it. And believe that will be the ultimate goal for vr. It's what many have dreamed about for as long as we can remember.