VR will flop

Viewing single post

Started by kitler53, Mar 02, 2015, 07:34 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Mar 02, 2015, 07:45 PM Last Edit: Mar 02, 2015, 07:51 PM by the-pi-guy
VR looks dorky:
Subjective, gaming is considered dorky by some people. 

Technology should be social not anti-social:
VR can be a new generation of social technology. 
Besides, most would argue that technology has already made us less social.   Doesn't make it less popular. 
Legend gave examples of utilities for VR such as teaching.  Virtually putting someone in a classroom is leaps and bounds more social than sitting at a computer doing online learning by yourself and much more social than webcamming because it would have the ability to put you in the classroom. 

VR is too expensive:
If someone has already spent 400-1000$ on a system, another 200$ is probably not going to stop them.  Slow them down sure.  But cost will go down. 

let's start of here.  major publishers won't support VR.
Did you go out and ask them?  There's already tons and tons of support, despite the fact that it's still a ways away.  The support isn't fantastic, but it's there and numerous.  I'd wait until E3 to see how much support is being thrown at VR, or Gamescom and TGS.  I bet we'll see at least a few big things. 

but the experience... sucks for (most) games anyways.
Kinect is a controller, VR is more of a screen, with control capabilities, doesn't have the same issues. 
VR's goal is to display, while taking in input for the display and giving the system rotational information, etc.  While Kinect has to figure out how you're moving from images.

but shooters, action adventure games, sports games,..  any game where you expect to move the controls will feel awkward.   you can look left right but what are your options for moving forward or turning around?  either:

Turning around?  Pretty sure that's already in the headset.  Yes, I expect it to be awkward to move around, but the overall experience will be a boon. 

and then there are all those other genres,.. puzzle games, platformers, rhythm games, basically any genre not specifically in the first person perspective.  VR is completely, utterly pointless in those genres.

Yet to be seen.  No I can't imagine it working well, but I've heard from others that it still works well. 

the technology:
Lots of people have been saying otherwise.  This is already in the hands of gamers, developers, and even some nongamers who've tried it out and they've been impressed.  I love watching their response. 

VR is probably a flop.  maybe with enough marketing it could be elevated all the way up to fad.  ..but this isn't the future of interactive entertainment.  it will be neat for a while but not compelling enough for either publisher or consumer to "take the risk" to invest in the technology.  it's expensive, it only works for a few genres, and even those genres contain gameplay flaws.  this puts it into a chicken or the egg scenario where neither side will want to invest first. eventually VR be labeled a failure just like it was in the early 90s and with the virtual boy.  things are better this time like with 3D and something i hope to experience once or twice,.. but they aren't compelling enough to make me want to buy one and deal with all the hassles and disappointments that come along with it.

Virtual boy is no where near the same thing as VR.  Let's compare television with shadow puppets in that case.  But I do agree, VR will probably flop.  But the level of support has me convinced that someone else is convinced that it's going to be a big thing.  So I'm convinced it'll be a big thing.