The gaming industry is dead. MS to buy Activision for 70 billion

Viewing single post

Started by BananaKing, Jan 18, 2022, 01:41 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

"But I think the next consolidation will be in the game business" -- one that Sony knowns well -- he said in a virtual Q&A at the Bank Of America Merrill Lynch Media, Communications & Entertainment Conference.

I think Sony already expected this to be happening.

If we look at the music and movie industries (they're a lot older and the gaming industry is quite a bit bigger, so the comparison might not work), but in both industries there are basically 4 or 5 companies that control 80+% of the market.

As it stands in the gaming market, the top 7 gaming companies make up less than 80% of the market.

As sucky as it is, it seems likely that:

1.) We're going to be seeing that number change to 4 or 5, perhaps even this generation.

2.) It's funny to say it, but Sony is one of those 4 or 5 companies in both of those other industries.

Overall I think Sony is going to be fine.

I think chances are high that MS won't make another big acquisition like this (at least for a good long while). And I'm sure I'm going to end up being way wrong on this, especially if Facebook becomes a big player in the gaming industry.

And I think chances are high that Sony will make a big acquisition this generation that no one will expect.