The gaming industry is dead. MS to buy Activision for 70 billion

Viewing single post

Started by BananaKing, Jan 18, 2022, 01:41 PM

previous topic - next topic

nnodley

Jan 18, 2022, 04:07 PM Last Edit: Jan 18, 2022, 04:35 PM by nnodley
First thought this was a messed up joke due to the $69 billion price and the issues going on at Activision.

Wow. I did not expect this at all.

I don't play their games so I'm kinda on the side lines, but is anyone happy about this? MS could spin Bethesda as if they were being saved from someone worse buying them, but nothing good can come from this that couldn't have happened on its own.
I haven't really seen anyone saying this is a good thing.  A lot of people are saying this needs to be challenged. 

Bethesda i can see cause it's not like they were setting sales records and having a ton of great games come out.  So MS likely saved them from going under potentially.  But this is on a whole other level of messing with the industry.

MS is very much getting close to having too much power in dictating the direction of the industry.

I keep seeing people compare this to Disney/Fox, but fox movies that disney now owns are still able to be purchased on blu ray and prime and aren't just gated behind disney+ even though yes disney/fox made disney very powerful.  But, this has implications of them gating all the games to just their ecosystem to basically destroy their competitors.  We will have to see how it plays out if it goes through though