E3 2018 general thread

Started by Legend, Jun 09, 2018, 03:57 PM

previous topic - next topic

Linked Events

Go Down

Legend

Cyberpunk 2077 is going to be first person... looks like that's it for me for that game.
Why would they do that? Yuck

On the other hand, maybe they'll usher in an age of good non fps first person games.

Dr. Pezus

Cyberpunk 2077 is going to be first person... looks like that's it for me for that game.
So like TES, Fallout, Deus Ex and lots of other great games? Seems the right choice imo for something like this

Dr. Pezus

The Role-Playing Game of the Dark Future

About the Game

In 2077, America is in pieces. Megacorps control life in all its aspects from the top floors of their sky-high fortresses. Down below, drug-pushing gangs, dirty-tech hustlers, and slingers of illicit braindances run the streets. The world in between is where decadence, naughtiness, and pop culture mix with violent crime, extreme poverty, and the unattainable promise of the American Dream.

In a world where you have no future, what matters is that you control who you are. To survive and protect your independence, you modify your body with advanced cyberware and take jobs others would never dare. You choose to live free, bound by no systems or controls--the only rules you obey are your own. Because you're a Cyberpunk.

In Cyberpunk 2077 you play as V--a hired gun on the rise and you just got your first serious contract. In a world of cyberenhanced street warriors, tech-savvy netrunners, and corporate lifehackers, today you take your first step towards becoming an urban legend.

■ Become a street mercenary of the future…

Create a hero able to survive in America's most dangerous megacity.

Create Your Own Cyberpunk Your name is V, and you can be anyone you want to be. Cyberpunk 2077 will feature full character customization, with gender, appearance, and personal background all affecting the shape of your game. As you progress. you'll develop skills in urban warfare and network hacking, as well as modify your body with cyberware like infra-red eyes or neural reflex boosters.
Fluid Class System - Become a Netrunner. Techie or Solo.. or a mix of all three. Cyberpunk 2077 doesn't impose any player roles and allows all available classes.
See Night City Through Your Eyes - Cyberpunk 2077 brings first-person perspective back to the role-playing genre. Deep narrative immersion is a key design priority, and you'll experience the story of the game's protagonist entirely through their eyes.
Interactive Dialogue Control - You're a participant, an agent, not an observer. Cyberpunk 2077 features an interactive dialogue system that gives players maximum control during conversations--comment on an uncooperative character's tattoo to please them, or end a conversation early with a well-placed bullet. The choice is always yours.
Game Noir - With its mature approach to storytelling, Cyberpunk 2077 adopts elements of noir cinema and inserts them into the future of video games. Without a clear definition of what's good or evil, in Cyberpunk 2077 you'll make hard choices to define yourself in a city that wants to bring you to your knees.
■ …and enter the most decadent megacity…

Night City is a playground for dreamers, an urbarn jungle that offers luxury excess… or a bullet to the brain if you mess with the corporations.

Go Anywhere, Do Anything - Cyberpunk 2077 is fully open-world, which means Night City is yours for the taking - if you're prepared. With 6 distinct districts to explore, hundreds of buildings and thousands rooms to enter, and dozens of miles of roads to hit, there are always places to be and things to do.
You're Worth What You Have - The world of cyberpunks is all about your gear. Wear designer clothes, buy (or steal) cars, and acquire black market military tech to help you during your missions. Then use blood money to invest in properties all around the city.
Jack In, Run the Net - Night City is fully connected and offers countless cyberspace access terminals. As you explore the Net, you'll discover layers of hidden systems, firewalls, and security programs deployed to fry your brain. During missions, you'll clash with hostile netrunners defending corporate megabuildings--both in cyberspace and in the real world.
■ …to uncover it's dirtiest secrets.

Story-driven and action-packed, Cyberpunk 2077's cinematic plot was written to provide a rich and robust single-player experience. Offering dozens of hours of main arc quests and lots of additional activities like side quests and Street Stories, the game is a good fit for both hardcore completionists and gamers who like to focus on instant action. Featuring CD Projekt RED's trademark storytelling system driven by choice and consequence, in Cyberpunk 2077 players navigate the streets of Night City along strongly contrasting paths to arrive at one of a range of story outcomes.

Read more at Cyberpunk 2077 first details, screenshots - Gematsu

the-pi-guy

Why would they do that? Yuck

On the other hand, maybe they'll usher in an age of good non fps first person games.

"He then went on to explain more of the philosophy of how you present perspective in games, saying, "Third-person works well in games like the Witcher when you have a lot of motion and movement around you. But when all the things happen to you, from you, within you, first person point of view is the right decision to take, especially because of the augmentations.""

E3 2018: Cyberpunk 2077: CD Projekt Addresses First-Person Backlash - IGN

Xevross

Ghost of Tsushima Details!

- It's an open-world samurai adventure.
- The game is grounded and realistic.
- The E3 2018 trailer is not part of the main story, it's a side quest!
- The game is a original work of fiction they are not rebuilding history stone by stone.
- Main storyline will be Jin vs. the Mongols.
- Leader of the Mongols is an "uncomfortably reasonable killer" trying to intimidate our hero.
- The main character is called Jin Sakai.
- He's had to go beyond his samurai training in order to fight back against the Mongols.
- There a lot of stories in the game that you may not find them all.
- There are many side characters in the game, most which have sidequests.
- The theme of the combat is "mud, blood, and steel". Expect to get dirty and muddy.
- Possibility of other weapons but they're only showing the katana right now.
- Sucker Punch teases that Jin's combat style abandons some samurai techniques, swapping them for the "violent grace of a silent assassin".
- Jin has learned to use a grapple hook but this is not part of his samurai training. He's had to learn new tricks to silently kill the Mongols.
- Strong focus on minimalism for the graphics, you see the things that are more pronounce.
- "Movement" is the environment theme, expect everything to move - blowing trees, windy fields, falling leaves.
- Landscapes range from the swaying bamboo forests of the countryside, to the urban centers of ornate castles.
- Everything you can see in the background you can go to such as a Pagoda and Mongol ships, you have the freedom to go where you want at your on pace.
- They want to give players a lot of navigational options.
- There will be a minimal game HUD but they're not showing it just yet.
- Looks like there's a photo mode.
- You can play the game with a Japanese voice track.
- Jin's nickname is "The Ghost of Tsushima".
- Jin has become a "legend" in Japan called "The Ghost".
- Jin will change what is wearing. In a rain-drenched part of the world Jin has traded his traditional armor for a straw raincoat called a mino.
- You can ride a horse, is integral to the game. Horse's name is Nobu.
- Expect that level of detail (E3 2018 trailer) in the whole game.

Xevross

^^ That all sounds incredible. Really hyped!

Xevross

Jun 13, 2018, 12:05 AM Last Edit: Jun 13, 2018, 12:11 AM by Xevross
Sekrio news

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice has no classes from which to choose, no character stats to level up, no option to create your own character, no multiplayer of any kind, no armour or weapons to find or equip, and no souls (or equivalent) to collect - or lose after dying. Just to reconfirm: Sekiro is the next big game by FromSoftware, the maker of Dark Souls and Bloodborne.

Indeed, Sekiro can scarcely be called an action-RPG. FromSoftware's Yasuhiro Kitao rather describes it as an action adventure game. One of the few elements that might seem familiar is your character's prosthetic limb - it's capable of hosting a number of gadgets, which you can find scattered around the world. That sounds pretty reminiscent of the trick weapons found in Bloodborne, if you had a temporary flirtation with a PlayStation 4 to enjoy that.

Hard to the core - Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is a hard-core game worthy of the name From Software. Miyazaki designed Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice this way! Fans of From Software will find the gameplay challenging, yet fun and rewarding. The quality of combat, level of challenge, and creative enemies and bosses are something that can only be found in a From Software title.
Interesting, sounds more like a Naughty Dog style of game then

Xevross

dang, Sekiro sounds like it could be insanely difficult. Still hardcore, but now its all skill... no levelling up or stat increases or anything.

kitler53

dang, Sekiro sounds like it could be insanely difficult. Still hardcore, but now its all skill... no levelling up or stat increases or anything.
i like this.  more games should go this route. 

my only thing i don't like about GoW is because i want to do all the side quests i'm constantly over leveled making the game too easy. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

BananaKing

Sekrio news

Interesting, sounds more like a Naughty Dog style of game then
Honestly sounds more like a Doom style game. Where you can find hidden upgrades and weapons. Sounds interesting, I didn't like the art style much, buy the gameplay sure as hell looked great. It's definitely on my radar but not a day one purchase

Legend

i like this.  more games should go this route.

my only thing i don't like about GoW is because i want to do all the side quests i'm constantly over leveled making the game too easy.
It's one of the biggest unsolved problems in video games imo.

The reward for playing is increased power, but 99% of the time this is functionally equivalent to just lowering the difficulty. Zelda Botw took this bad game design to the next level!

Spoiler for summary of botw end fight structure:
<br>If you love the game and fully try to experience the world, you end up fighting the final boss with way too much health and way too much power.<br><br>But specifically there are 4 main quests that really break it. If you skip everything, the final fight is 5 bosses in a row with no pauses between them or checkpoints. However if you do these 4 main quests, you skip the first 4 bosses and the final one starts at half health.<br>

kitler53

It's one of the biggest unsolved problems in video games imo.

The reward for playing is increased power, but 99% of the time this is functionally equivalent to just lowering the difficulty. Zelda Botw took this bad game design to the next level!

Spoiler for summary of botw end fight structure:
<br>If you love the game and fully try to experience the world, you end up fighting the final boss with way too much health and way too much power.<br><br>But specifically there are 4 main quests that really break it. If you skip everything, the final fight is 5 bosses in a row with no pauses between them or checkpoints. However if you do these 4 main quests, you skip the first 4 bosses and the final one starts at half health.<br>

it really isn't that hard of a problem.  

the player only need to feel more powerful.  that can be achieved by rewarding the player with gameplay mechanics not power levels.  attack power/defence/health bars are archaic game design form an era where computers were limited in how difficulty could be managed. 

modern data science has solution to solve this.  i work with lstm in my work and i can see how easily it could be applied to game ai that learns player behaviours and adjusts difficulty through intelligence not power.  the cool part with this approach is you could monitor how long it has been since the player had a deadly encounter and ramp difficulty up when they have been winning and down when they are dyiung. 

game devs don't seem to interested in innovating ai though. its all about graphics. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

it really isn't that hard of a problem.  

the player only need to feel more powerful.  that can be achieved by rewarding the player with gameplay mechanics not power levels.  attack power/defence/health bars are archaic game design form an era where computers were limited in how difficulty could be managed.

modern data science has solution to solve this.  i work with lstm in my work and i can see how easily it could be applied to game ai that learns player behaviours and adjusts difficulty through intelligence not power.  the cool part with this approach is you could monitor how long it has been since the player had a deadly encounter and ramp difficulty up when they have been winning and down when they are dyiung.

game devs don't seem to interested in innovating ai though. its all about graphics.

Left 4 dead did something like that with AI. Also I'm pretty sure there was another game I've read about that worked that way.

It's cool but it's too "fake" for me. Same with just making the player feel powerful. I'm specifically talking about it from a game theory perspective where the player has full knowledge of the situation and is thinking rationally.

Bars are the best! You seem to like games as an "experience" for lack of a better word. It's about casually enjoying your time. I mostly ignore stats and optimizing in games, but I still tend to prefer games structured with clear cause and effect. As the player I can decide to play it casually but I know the game isn't cheating me. Like how Naughty Dog is moving towards having more systems and dynamics visible to their players. I wouldn't want Uncharted to have a health bar but I love having one in TLOU. TLOU2 is taking this further with a stealth gauge. The HUD doesn't just show if you're hidden; it shows how well you're hidden.

*I'm tired and rambling. Sorry in advance if this is gibberish

DerNebel

So like TES, Fallout, Deus Ex and lots of other great games? Seems the right choice imo for something like this
And I hope people enjoy the game for it but I simply don't like first person games.

Dr. Pezus

And I hope people enjoy the game for it but I simply don't like first person games.
For shame

Go Up