E3 2018 general thread

Viewing single post

Started by Legend, Jun 09, 2018, 03:57 PM

previous topic - next topic

Linked Events

kitler53

Left 4 dead did something like that with AI. Also I'm pretty sure there was another game I've read about that worked that way.

It's cool but it's too "fake" for me. Same with just making the player feel powerful. I'm specifically talking about it from a game theory perspective where the player has full knowledge of the situation and is thinking rationally.

Bars are the best! You seem to like games as an "experience" for lack of a better word. It's about casually enjoying your time. I mostly ignore stats and optimizing in games, but I still tend to prefer games structured with clear cause and effect. As the player I can decide to play it casually but I know the game isn't cheating me. Like how Naughty Dog is moving towards having more systems and dynamics visible to their players. I wouldn't want Uncharted to have a health bar but I love having one in TLOU. TLOU2 is taking this further with a stealth gauge. The HUD doesn't just show if you're hidden; it shows how well you're hidden.

*I'm tired and rambling. Sorry in advance if this is gibberish

it's not gibberish but we're not talking to quite the same point either.

lfd isn't quite what i had in mind. the actual AI in lfd is terrible.  all they did was create procedural spawn points based on very simple pacing algorithm.

lstm is the heart of how google was able to book a haircut over the phone with a digital AI assistant.  basically you provide it a sequence and it learns the sequence well enough to predict the next element of the sequence quite well.  it's good enough to feel like a human level of intelligence.  honestly, the early desire for multiplayer was a concession at the time that computer AI sucked.  today the AI could be as adaptive as a human.

you can still have a causal game experience with this too.  the algorithm has a "learning rate".  basically you can tune the algorithm to be as slow to learn as a toddler or as amazing at the smartest gamer in the world.  so you could still support a "easy", "normal", "hard" difficulty setting.

not that every game ever should take this route.  but at least 1 game should have explored this idea by now.  machine learning is pretty far along at this point.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens