Next Gen Playstation Specs Revealed By Mark Cerny

Started by Xevross, Apr 16, 2019, 01:28 PM

previous topic - next topic

Xevross

- CPU: 7nm Zen 2, 8 cores
- GPU: custom Navi, including raytracing support
- SSD + custom interfacing to massively increase bandwith (Spiderman freetravel demo: load time 15 seconds PS4 to 0.8 seconds PS5 in 4K)
- PS4 Backwards compatibility (other platforms not confirmed)
- Physical media
- PSVR '1' compatible
- on-chip 3D audio support
- Cerny is lead architect again

more in the era thread: https://www.resetera.com/threads/official-playstation-next-gen-plans-2020-wired-exclusive-article-ray-tracing-bc-ssd-more.111777/

darkknightkryta

GIve me native PSX/PS2 and PS3 support through magic, I'll be there day 1.

Legend

Well I didn't expect to wake up to this!

Xevross

Well I didn't expect to wake up to this!
Yeah very strange for this to just come out of nowhere, but I'm okay with it!

DD_Bwest

Kinda crazy to get a big info dump like this.  Completely unexpected.

the-pi-guy

Very strange.  
I was expecting them to wait until early 2020.  Announce it PS4 style.

kitler53

this isn't a ton of info but:
 - george confirmed as the lead architect is great news.  he did a wonderful job with the ps4.  i really trust him to make good decision with the ps5.
 - BC is great news
 - physical media is to be expected but also great news.  i don't even use it for games but i'm glad to have it for library movie rentals.
 - the discussion around the SSD sounds amazing.  (all but) eliminating load times would make gaming soooo much better.
 - 3D audio probably won't excite the mainstream market but i like it.
 - ray tracing,.. i'm a bit meh on it but okay sure.

- BC on PSVR is a bit,.. disappointing?   i mean, i ought to like it but also psvr has quite a few flaws too.  sometime you have to cut the past to move forward.  i guess i just hope psvr2 is a thing and that it isn't held back by psvr1.

as a bottom line i'll say this,.. this is a hell of a lot more exciting stuff than what xbox has choose to lead with for their next gen marketing of turning xbox into a cloud platform.  i know that xbox will more than likely have many of the same features as ps5 just like ps5 will still be able to "play anywhere" just like xbox is hoping to introduce.  still though,.. it illuminates their "priorities" and sony is in a better place imo.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

Yeah ps4 bc is amazing. That is all I needed to know!!!

the-pi-guy

this isn't a ton of info but:
 - george confirmed as the lead architect is great news.  he did a wonderful job with the ps4.  i really trust him to make good decision with the ps5.
*Mark

- BC on PSVR is a bit,.. disappointing?   i mean, i ought to like it but also psvr has quite a few flaws too.  sometime you have to cut the past to move forward.  i guess i just hope psvr2 is a thing and that it isn't held back by psvr1.
We will have to see what Sony ends up doing.  A better camera would retroactively improve tracking, but if they wanted to use the same device to do that, they are now limited to the type of tracking.

PSVR2 could benefit a lot from something like lighthouse.  

On that note, are you enjoying your PSVR?  

kitler53

Apr 16, 2019, 04:07 PM Last Edit: Apr 16, 2019, 04:15 PM by kitler53
*Mark
lolz,.. george cerny is the name of the QA manager at my previous employer.   my bad.

We will have to see what Sony ends up doing.  A better camera would retroactively improve tracking, but if they wanted to use the same device to do that, they are now limited to the type of tracking.

PSVR2 could benefit a lot from something like lighthouse.  

On that note, are you enjoying your PSVR?  
i mean,.. not really.  but somehow i'd still buy a new one?   i refuse to use it on the weekdays because it really disrupts my ability to sleep at night.  i also can't use it for even like an hour without getting nauseated.  and a lot of the things i've played just plain sucked.   ..but it all seems "worth it" when you get to that one experience that is mind blowing.

i bought psvr pretty much knowing full well to expect a VR "beta".  i got what i expected.  so while i wouldn't recommend psvr to anyone i would also be excited to share the one i have with a friend.   so yeah,.. 

relationship status:  it's complicated.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

nnodley

This all sounds so good!  Someone in the Era thread was saying they are looking at March 2020 or November 2020, but not decided yet.  Not sure if the guy was legit or not though

Xevross

i mean,.. not really.  but somehow i'd still buy a new one?   i refuse to use it on the weekdays because it really disrupts my ability to sleep at night.  i also can't use it for even like an hour without getting nauseated.  and a lot of the things i've played just plain sucked.   ..but it all seems "worth it" when you get to that one experience that is mind blowing.

i bought psvr pretty much knowing full well to expect a VR "beta".  i got what i expected.  so while i wouldn't recommend psvr to anyone i would also be excited to share the one i have with a friend.   so yeah,..

relationship status: it's complicated.
These are almost exactly my feelings with PSVR too. Its basically a demo device that I wouldn't recommend anyone else to spend money on, but I'm excited about the future of the tech.

nnodley

if psvr2 is wireless and we can start getting maybe uncharted 4 level graphics with it that would be dope.  Don't know how feasible that is, but that is what i hope for in PSVR 2 for sure.

Dr. Pezus

Sounds good! Excited about eliminating load times. I bet the likes of Ubisoft will still find ways to fudge up the loading times lol

ethomaz

Nothing surprising.

A lot to be revealed yet.

I expect a full reveal mid to late this year.