The Book Thread - fiction, nonfiction, reference, etc

Started by the-pi-guy, Aug 12, 2019, 10:14 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

This will probably mostly be for me.... I really like having books, so I thought it'd be nice to have a thread for it.  

Unfortunately I've probably done more collecting books than using them.  

I haven't done a lot of fiction reading lately, just haven't had a lot of time.  But don't let that discourage you from sharing books you like!  

Nonfiction books are a lot of times fantastic resources.  The further you get into a subject, the harder it gets for finding resources on that subject.  Like you can easily find graphics sources online, but you're not likely to find anything that comes anywhere close to the Real Time Rendering textbook.  Sometimes with math, Google will literally come up empty on subjects that I've tried searching.  

I think the biggest reason I like collecting books, is because growing up I didn't really feel like I had access to learn about stuff.  

Also hoarding is kind of in my blood.  :P

nnodley

Currently going through some Neil DeGrasse Tyson and Stephen hawking books in terms of non fiction

Trying to read through The Long Earth series by Terry Pratchet in terms of fiction.

darkknightkryta

I've cut back on my comics a lot. I only read Batman still

the-pi-guy

When I have some money to spend, I'd love to get Real Time Rendering.  

The printing quality though has been shotty, though.  

Recent reviews of the second printing have been more variable with some saying the first printing issues are still there and some saying that the quality is great.  

BananaKing

I'm reading a book called theft of swords (or the crown conspiracy) by Michael j Sullivan. And wow it's amazing. It could make a great tv show IMO or movie. I'm still in the first book but this could be a huge hit if it ever got a tv show/movie. It could also make a great game.

the-pi-guy

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1498765688/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_d7oREbV48W96B?fbclid=IwAR17t-fELQAL3120N7P91q80tFplUPbn5-Dp5wHxkBRiRwvaZknZR_heOf0

Found another book I want to get.  

I did get Real Time Rendering, Gravitation, Computer Architecture recently.

But I've mostly been reading Genki (an intro japanese textbook).