does it make sense to launch exclusives during the holidays?

Started by Mmm_fish_tacos, May 14, 2015, 03:34 PM

previous topic - next topic

Mmm_fish_tacos

I don't think so. The holidays belong to 3 party. Why put your exclusive line up against juggernauts like call of duty and battle front. How much would Sony gain this holiday if they had uncharted? I think releasing Exclusives during the slower summer months is best and keeps the weekly numbers higher threw out the year. And you?

Legend

Nah.

The holidays belong to the games. Why does being exclusive have anything to do with that? 3rd party games like Far Cry and Deus Ex also have to go up against the juggernauts.

I can understand your second point though. Console makers are actively interested in system sales while 3rd parties are not. Still think a big holiday game gives a bigger overall boost than a big summer game though.

Mmm_fish_tacos

Nah.

The holidays belong to the games. Why does being exclusive have anything to do with that? 3rd party games like Far Cry and Deus Ex also have to go up against the juggernauts.

I can understand your second point though. Console makers are actively interested in system sales while 3rd parties are not. Still think a big holiday game gives a bigger overall boost than a big summer game though.

Well let's take this hoilday, it's stacked with big 3Rd party games. I think ps4 and Xbox for that matter will sell near their max amount possible. People can only buy so many games and they are likely to buy those game that their friends also have. I.e. cod and bf. now if we move big exclusive towards tax season you'll get a bigger buy than dumping your lot of games plus those big ones at the same time. You'll actually sell more consoles if you plan releases around when you think your consumer will have money for them.

kitler53

i just want games all year long, exclusive or not.   ..but since 3rd parties are too scared to release games outside the holiday than i think it is great for sony to focus on non-holiday releases.  it's great for me at least that is always yearing for more all year long not just in december.

...but sony shouldn't be afraid of the holidays either.  obviously it is important of mind share that exclusives release in the holiday since apparently they don't count in the rest of the year...

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Cute Pikachu

I prefer exclusives to be spread out like what Sony and Ninth do
Microsoft releases all their exclusives during the holidays so I cant buy all of them.
The Vizioneck Nintendo Fanboy!

Switch Software Sales Guide:
http://vizioneck.com/forum/index.php?topic=5895.msg218699#new