Pi thinks Valve's headset might be in trouble

Started by the-pi-guy, Mar 22, 2019, 06:50 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Mar 22, 2019, 06:50 PM Last Edit: Mar 22, 2019, 07:51 PM by the-pi-guy
The market is going towards ease of use. The fact that so many hardware designers are making this a priority, it shows that they are reading the signs of the mainstream market that VR is too much of a hassle to set up for the casual user. Which to reach that 1 billion users, it's essential to make that progress.

There are a lot of pros and cons for that goal. On the one hand it means that some (reasonable) sacrifices for the experience have to be made. On the other hand it means that VR can develop faster, and we could get some serious AAA VR exclusive games.

That with all these inside out tracking headsets, Valve could be at a serious disadvantage. Valve could have been a major player in the VR space if it weren't the case.

In a year they might be going after the hardcore crowd, when the casual crowd could be in the multi-millions. Which would still be a great thing for Valve, but they probably won't have the opportunity to be on the top like they would have a year ago.

Legend

I think we will have to wait and see what Sony does with PS5's VR. If they focus on improving quality and not just ease of use then it could help keep the market for high quality VR healthy.

the-pi-guy

I copied my response to something else, so it might not make complete sense.  

I might be exaggerating, and Valve might not do what I think they'll do.  

I think we will have to wait and see what Sony does with PS5's VR. If they focus on improving quality and not just ease of use then it could help keep the market for high quality VR healthy.
I think the PSVR 2, it will be a healthy upgrade for ease and quality.  Probably be very solid on both fronts.  

SWORDF1SH

Swordfish thinks you should never refer to yourself from the third person... wait!?

the-pi-guy

Swordfish thinks you should never refer to yourself from the third person... wait!?
I referred to myself in the first person.  P(I).
Note that Pyou is second person and Phe is third person.  

SWORDF1SH

I referred to myself in the first person.  P(I).
Note that Pyou is second person and Phe is third person. 
Lol, swordfish stands corrected.