Digital trends: Oculus’ Quest is the headset that will make me (and you) a VR believer

Started by the-pi-guy, Jan 10, 2019, 07:03 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

CES 2019: The Oculus Quest Will Be The Headset That Gets Me Into VR | Digital Trends

Portable, user-friendly, and more affordable than its technologically advanced older brother, the Oculus Quest has hardware that's just good enough. It could be the mid-range headset that fully converts me to a VR fanatic.

The Quest is a true all-in-one headset. There's no high-end gaming PC, no heavy, tangled wires or tedious external sensors, and you don't need to convert your basement into a VR den. Finally, I put on a VR headset that didn't make me feel like the Predator. That might sound cool -- and it is at first -- but once the novelty wears off it becomes repetitive, claustrophobic, and a little sweaty.

During the demo, we played two games -- Super Hot and Project Tennis Scramble -- both of which worked without a hitch. That, too, is an important point. Earlier wire-free headsets, more of which relied on smartphones, had serious issues with both smartphone heat management and overall performance. These issues aren't present in Oculus Quest, and the two games we tried felt just as smooth as they would on an HTC Vive.

Legend

Jan 10, 2019, 07:16 PM Last Edit: Jan 10, 2019, 07:20 PM by Legend
That's really awesome. How powerful is it?

the-pi-guy

That's really awesome. How powerful is it?
Specs:
The Oculus Quest's dual OLED displays offer a resolution of 1,600 x 1,440 per eye operating at 72Hz.

The Oculus Quest will feature the Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 processor with its own on-board graphics chip
Did some research.  It sounds like it's a little better than the Nintendo Switch .

nnodley

Can't wait for this.  This is what I want to have to try out my archviz VR stuff.  I want to hopefully essentially build a full replica of say my house(heavily optimized most likely), and then be able to load it into this and walk through the whole house in VR.  

I'm assuming it should work since it's tetherless and has positional tracking built into the headset.

Legend

Hmm I'll have to look into this more.

Also is this the launch of a new platform or does it run off android?

the-pi-guy

Hmm I'll have to look into this more.

Also is this the launch of a new platform or does it run off android?
As for an operating system, Quest is expected to run on the Oculus OS, a variation of Android.
Moss, Robo Recall and The Climb are going to be made available.  

Legend

Moss, Robo Recall and The Climb are going to be made available.  
Cool. I wonder if a dedicated VR platform like this will be end up being successful enough to get a non VR spin off.

Portable systems like this will probably be the most popular form of VR.

the-pi-guy

Portable systems like this will probably be the most popular form of VR.
Oh yeah.

I hope some day we will have some crazy cool stuff.

VR headsets that are basically the size of a pair of glasses.  

Perhaps the headsets will be able to wirelessly stream from some kind of PlayStation 8.   But also be able to do rendering on board with quality similar to the PS5.  

#Future