Ghost of Tsushima State of Play

Started by Legend, May 14, 2020, 03:30 AM

previous topic - next topic

Linked Events

kitler53

if it doesn't get good reviews this could get slaughtered in terms of sales.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

May 14, 2020, 08:28 PM Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 08:31 PM by Legend
Kind of feels like they just made Assassin's Creed Japan.
Combat as a samurai didn't look like Assassin's Creed. Had stances and whatnot.

Everything else though? Very very similar. Similar UI, similar plant harvesting, similar map, etc. I am not complaining one bit but it'll be interesting to see.

Also in the trailer it had text popup saying the region was Mongol controlled. I wonder if it'll have region ownership changes just like AC as well.

i'll still probably get it but i still stand behind my other thread.    marketing for this game sucks.
This was a weird showing. It's the type of video that should come out this close to launch, but it was also our first look at most of the game. Maybe it just needed to end on a high note instead of a bw option.

Xevross

I think I'll be getting it day 1 but I'm not expecting it to be GOTY worthy and I don't think I'll be blown away by anything. Seems like it'll beabe classic Sucker Punch 8-9/10 game, very well made but lacking originality.

Dr. Pezus

Looks fun. Hope combat is difficult but rewarding

kitler53

I think I'll be getting it day 1 but I'm not expecting it to be GOTY worthy and I don't think I'll be blown away by anything. Seems like it'll beabe classic Sucker Punch 8-9/10 game, very well made but lacking originality.
not day 1 for me.   i have a big back log so while i'm sure i'll enjoy it i'm sure i'll enjoy it just fine in 6 months at half (or less) price.

still undecided about TLoU.   i'm 50/50 on a day 1 purchase.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

Rewatching with my brother, the wind/bird/fox could be real cool.

The map had a whole bunch of ?s like AC but it looks like that isn't the primary way to explore.

Horizon

Day One. Twitter seemed to love it too.

Legend

Day One. Twitter seemed to love it too.
Yeah seems to have had a really positive reception amongst fans of these games.

the-pi-guy

Kind of irritates me that he's not saying Tsushima right!  

It's not Tsu-shim-a, it's tsu-shi-ma.

the-pi-guy

Legend

Ghost of Tsushima info: difficult combat, multiple weapons and gadgets, huge map packed with people, items and stories to explore | ResetEra

Posted and Translated By by Kaiserstarky

• Julien chieze was able to speak with Jason Connell, Creative Director on Ghost of Tsushima. I made a translation of the information we were able to learn :
  • Zelda and Shadow of Colosus was a big inspiration for this game especially for artistic direction, he wanted the colors to be vibrant as possible.
  • The wind is the main way to navigate the game world, there are no markers. He wanted the game to be immersive as possible.
  • We can reduce the shine effect on the items that we can pick up. He made a comparison with Red Ded Redemption which is for him a good and beautiful game but for Ghost of Tsushima they wanted the game to be pleasant as possible to play without having too many superfluous animations which break the rhythm and that is why Jin can pick up items on his horse.
  • The instrument that we see Jin playing in the video will be the only one present in the game and Jason did not want to say what it would be used for.
  • We can hunt animals in the game but there is nothing to gain by doing it. Animals are mainly there to be more immersed in the universe and guiding you.
  • The Standoff mode can be activated anytime even in infiltration.
  • The little tennis balls are called the Jin Resolved Meter when we hit an enemy the bar will load and it will also be used for healing and there are also many other things related to this gauge but he did not want too get into the details.
  • There will be much more stances than the two that we saw in the video, it will be used to apprehend the different types of enemies.
  • The main weapon of the game will be and will remain the katana throughout the game but there will be many other weapons and gadgets. Weapons like the katana or the bow will be displayed on all the outfits of the game but not the smallest ones because there are a lot of outfits in the game and it would represent too much work.
  • If you wear heavy armor you will be less agile so it will make infiltration harder.
  • There are several ways to retrieve the outfits, either through the main story, by doing quests, by buying them in the villages or simply by exploring the world.
  • There are a lot of side stories in the game where you can build more or less strong relationships with different characters to learn more about their stories but it's up to the player's freedom and you can miss them.
  • The music is composed by Shigeru Umebayashi but the game having grown a lot, he realized that he could not do everything alone so they hired a second composer to work with Umebayashi and his name is Ilan Eshkeri.

Ghost of Tsushima Creative Director on Moving Away From Infamous' Karma Meter
"We thought about (a morality meter) because we had the karma system in (Infamous: Second Son), but we realized it was more important to us that we wanted to tell a human story of someone who is this way and has to evolve into something else, versus transform completely into something else," Connell explained. "He doesn't flip flop back and forth, it muddied it up for us. We really wanted the story to reflect his transformation."  Click to expand... Click to shrink...  
"It definitely plays with the notion of, you're born and raised into this certain way of life. There's expectations of you, the way you should perform. And then at some point, because some events happen, in this case a war, you have to challenge those things. And not everybody's going to love the fact that you're going to challenge an assumption that's made upon your life," he explained.  Click to expand... Click to shrink...  
"There's definitely important story moments that are more reflective of this change than others. But the reality is that even as you have gotten to some story moments, you can still play the game as this Samurai, you may just be more potent or more powerful. We don't make you choose between (samurai and Ghost)," Connell said.

"When he's a Ghost, he can turn around and play as a samurai because he's always a samurai. All his training, using the Katana, that stuff is buried in him deep. On the stealth (State of Play segement), if you wanted to jump off the roof and start fighting like a samurai, you could totally do that. We don't spec you out and suddenly you can't play as a samurai. He's always at his core, his heart of hearts, a samurai. The Ghost is this legendary warrior that he's evolving into," Connell said.  Click to expand... Click to shrink...  
www.ign.com   Ghost of Tsushima Creative Director on Moving Away From Infamous' Karma Meter - IGN  Ghost of Tsushima's Jin can be both a samurai and the titular Ghost, but there's not a hard stop between the two that players will have to choose.   www.ign.com www.ign.com    
 Posted and Translated by nolifebr

One of the most frequent questions we insist on asking is the duration of this amusement park.

Voxel had the opportunity to ask Nate Fox, the adventure's creative director, directly, and the response was encouraging, although the artist shied away from needing a specific number.

"It is a difficult question to answer because the world is a large space for anthological stories. We did several tests with people playing about 6 and a half hours a day and the results were very different, many did not finished the main story because they were too busy exploring other aspects of the game".

Voxel continued: "So can players take, say, 30, 40, 50 or more hours if they do the optional activities and, obviously, less than that on the main route? Is it safe to say that?", To which Nate replied," Yes, absolutely. But I would highly recommend that everyone get off the main route and get lost on Tsushima Island, there is a lot to discover there ", he said.
 Click to expand... Click to shrink...  
www.voxel.com.br   Ghost of Tsushima: quanto tempo pode durar a campanha e os 100%?  O Voxel conversou com o diretor-criativo de Ghost of Tsushima game pra (tentar) saber quanto tempo sua jornada vai durar nesse mundão invadido por mongóis - com e sem os 100%!   www.voxel.com.br www.voxel.com.br     Combat is very difficult
Even though we saw someone slicing through enemies in the State of Play, I assumed that this player was very skilled, and that the eventual gameplay will be way harder on us. Nate completely agreed with me. "We are trying to make a grounded game in that sense, so a couple blows from the enemy will kill you. The game is very challenging. We have three words to describe the combat: Mud, blood and steel. We absolutely honor the lethality of the sword. We watched samurai movies and people go down with one or two strikes, and that is embedded inside of the combat. Beating the Mongols in battle will be hard, but it's that challenge that makes it feel alive and the victory rewarding. You can't just run into a camp and fight 5 people at the same time, you will get overwhelmed and die."  Click to expand... Click to shrink...  
Duels
Engaging combat and succeeding won't be easy, and you probably have to use everything you got to win a fight, and most importantly play smart. Sucker Punch wants to honor this trait from old samurai movies, by introducing one-on-one stand-offs against other swordsman, that will prove to be very challenging. "One thing we didn't show at State of Play which I wish we had, was that the game features duels against other expert swordsman. This is classic samurai stuff. Those fights are incredibly difficult and they're driven from personality and get solved in the most cinematic way possible, which is also true to fantasy. You need to study your opponent and understand how they attack in order to win."  Click to expand... Click to shrink...  
The Island of Tsushima
"What you saw in the presentation was some side action in the game. It was not part of one's particular story. The map has Mongolians everywhere, and the main part will be Jin's transformation from being a samurai to overtime becoming the Ghost. Next to that story you will meet people that try to survive in the world, with stories that will branch of off the main one. That is what the body of the game is made up off."  Click to expand... Click to shrink...  
"By not following Jin's story and going after your curiosity, you will definitely become stronger than by just following Jin's story in one line, but more importantly, you get a way more varied and interesting experience. There are all sorts of hidden stories and items you get acces to by following your curiosity. This is why we didn't add markers on the map. We want you to get lost in Tsushima, that when you are heading to a hill, you suddenly hear a bird you think, maybe I will follow that instead. Just get lost from the one thing to the next, and we want to give you the tools and freedom to do that."  Click to expand... Click to shrink...  
"The map we showed at the State of Play was VERY zoomed in
"The map we showed during the State of Play was VERY zoomed in", Fox explains. "That was just a little portion of the starting area, the actual map is huge." Fox goes on to say that It's the biggest thing they have ever done at Sucker Punch, and it's also a lot more diverse. "Tsushima Island covers the biomes you can find on main land Japan, from snowy mountains to bamboo forests, to waterfalls and rolling grasslands, it's all there." Even though the map is very big, Sucker Punch made sure it won't feel empty. "We want to give enough stuff to keep it electrifying for the player. We didn't want to make a huge map and have nothing on it. So it's packed with people, items and stories to explore."  Click to expand... Click to shrink...  
nordic.ign.com   Ghost of Tsushima Game Director says combat is very challenging - Interview  Jin has to become the Ghost as one of the last samurai.   nordic.ign.com nordic.ign.com      

the-pi-guy

Fox goes on to say that It's the biggest thing they have ever done at Sucker Punch, and it's also a lot more diverse.
Bigly. And that's saying something from them. 

Dr. Pezus

Excited about the difficult combat!

Go Up