The ~4 game settings. Which is your favorite?

Started by Legend, Jul 25, 2020, 02:44 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

We've got medievil/fantasy.

We've got space/sci fi.

We've got military/crime.

We've got zombies.

Seems like 95% of games fit into these groups or a mix of them. Why is that and which do you tend to like most?

I don't think I've ever loved a military game but I did love sleeping dogs.

And why are zombies so popular?

Xevross

I guess you could say post apocolyptic instead of zombies but yeah that does cover a lot of games. I'm not sure I really have a favourite setting, I used to love medievil/ fantasy stuff but now I don't really care as much. I guess sc-fi is the most fun.

idk why zombies are so popular, I guess people just find them fun and they keep selling. I've never had an interest in the genre be it movies or games. I've barely touched any zombie games and the ones I've liked (basically only TLOU) I wish it was just a normal game.

Dr. Pezus

Fantasy and scifi is my thing

kitler53

We've got medievil/fantasy.

We've got space/sci fi.
vastly prefer these.  like them about equal. 

as to why does everything fit into these,.. what other setting can you even suggest?   not many for sure and much of those you can are kind of at odds with gaming.  gaming requires an us vs them conflict in order to create gameplay around for any genre that isn't the "interactive novel" genre. it limits where you can go compared to the movies. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

It can almost be similar to:
-past (medieval)
-distant future (space)
-modern (military)
-zombies could be considered fantasy.  But it's kind of like nearby fantasy future.  

Honestly they are pretty broad categories.  

the-pi-guy

Would Mario be fantasy or something?  

I think medieval/fantasy is probably my favorite.

Legend

It can almost be similar to:
-past (medieval)
-distant future (space)
-modern (military)
-zombies could be considered fantasy.  But it's kind of like nearby fantasy future.  

Honestly they are pretty broad categories.  

I was tempted in the op to just break it down that way haha.

Also could go

1: guns are not used too much
2: laser guns are used
3: regular guns are used
4: zombies

Mario is fantasy. Called Mushroom Kingdom, has castles, a princess in danger, and a fire breathing beast in the dungeon.

BananaKing

I love them all. Depends on how good the game is. There is also super hero setting which is growing.

I would love some more sci-fi open world games and some more proper RPGs in fantasy settings. (Even though its a cliche, I know)

the-pi-guy

I love them all. Depends on how good the game is. There is also super hero setting which is growing.

I would love some more sci-fi open world games and some more proper RPGs in fantasy settings. (Even though its a cliche, I know)
Super hero is just military, except with arms instead of (guns) arms.

the-pi-guy

It's a little funny that zombies and near future are so overlapping.  

Hard to have a scenario that's near future, but dramatic enough of a difference to not be plausible present day.

Legend

It's a little funny that zombies and near future are so overlapping.  

Hard to have a scenario that's near future, but dramatic enough of a difference to not be plausible present day.
Could just be like parks and rec. The final season was set in the future. Was completely normal but they had more drones and better phones lol.