previous topic - next topic

Go Down

the-pi-guy

My brother: "a game developer is making an easy game engine"
*shows me Dreams*

Legend

My brother: "a game developer is making an easy game engine"
*shows me Dreams*
I do wonder if Sony/Media Molecule have given any serious thought to allowing games made in Dreams to be sold as stand alone titles. It'd be weird but they've blurred the line between ugc and game engine.

BananaKing

I do wonder if Sony/Media Molecule have given any serious thought to allowing games made in Dreams to be sold as stand alone titles. It'd be weird but they've blurred the line between ugc and game engine.
In my opinion dreams will fail because if this very thing. They basically made a game engine, unlike LBP which was very defined in what it was (though had tools for a lot of creativity) Dreams is basically an engine. Want to make your own games? Get unreal.

Legend

In my opinion dreams will fail because if this very thing. They basically made a game engine, unlike LBP which was very defined in what it was (though had tools for a lot of creativity) Dreams is basically an engine. Want to make your own games? Get unreal.
Exactly. From a dev point of view they're treating it like it's a game engine that's super artist friendly but from a management point of view they're treating it like a game. They need to fully commit to one of the ideas instead of failing to do neither.

the-pi-guy

The only way I can see Dreams doing well is if the included levels end up being great.  Like 90+ material by itself.  

UGC is great, but most people aren't going to be jumping to do that.  But this just sounds like they are taking it to an even greater extreme, and not putting enough into the included gameplay.  

BananaKing

Exactly. From a dev point of view they're treating it like it's a game engine that's super artist friendly but from a management point of view they're treating it like a game. They need to fully commit to one of the ideas instead of failing to do neither.
People are still asking what is dreams. And that's a huge issue. It's basically a user friendly engine like you said. But that's not appealing to the mass market. The thing about LBP was that there was a core gameplay for it. And you could just create levels for that gameplay easily. Sure there were tools that allowed for more unique games and such, but the core was always the main game and it's new levels and such.

Kerotan

Bloodborne 2 or GT7 seem like good shouts if it's not a new ip. And I've been saying 2020 at the earliest for years. 2019 makes no sense. Too many good games coming the next 18 months from Sony. Q4 2020 at the earliest is ideal.

4k will be a lot more mainstream. Buying 4k TV will be cheap and we'll all be thirsty for a new gen.

nnodley

Seriously no one has posted anything about Days Gone being delayed to April 26!

Legend

Wtf at least you posted it.

Guess it's the first game to get delayed off that date.

Dr. Pezus

Wtf

nnodley

Wtf at least you posted it.

Guess it's the first game to get delayed off that date.

lol. yeah they said they wanted to get out of that crowded month and have some more polish

Xevross

Oh yeah I read that before and forgot about it. Meh, I don't care because I have no interest in the game.

At least it might actually sell well now.

BananaKing

Yeah it was expected to be delayed. This gives it a better release window and a bit extra time to polish even more.

BananaKing

I finished game of thrones by telltale the other day. Ya'll are crazy. It's lots of fun and pretty good. Sad that it won't continue as they left the door open

Of course, like every other freaking game with choices, I got the bad ending lol

Kerotan

Oct 20, 2018, 03:31 AM Last Edit: Oct 20, 2018, 04:02 AM by Kerotan
I finished game of thrones by telltale the other day. Ya'll are crazy. It's lots of fun and pretty good. Sad that it won't continue as they left the door open

Of course, like every other freaking game with choices, I got the bad ending lol
I liked it too. Very well made and i never watched the tv series.

Should Sony do something crazy like make 500k limited edition ps4 slim and pros for the TLOU2 launch. That game has such a hard core following they'd probably sell them all on pre orders alone. Even if it was 2020. Would be cool seeing ps4 get a mega boost late in it's life.

Go Up