FT: Sony commits to successor for PlayStation 4

Started by the-pi-guy, Oct 09, 2018, 06:20 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

FT: Sony commits to successor for PlayStation 4 | ResetEra

More from the Financial Times link: https://www.ft.com/content/25f9a068-c898-11e8-ba8f-ee390057b8c9?list=intlhomepage

At this point, what I can say is it's necessary to have a next-generation hardware," said Kenichiro Yoshida, in an interview with the Financial Times. He declined to formally name Sony's future console the "PlayStation 5".Click to expand...
Rumours:

There have been industry rumours that Sony might be planning a tablet that would connect to multiple devices as online streaming of games becomes more widespread and the company seeks to derive ever greater synergies between its games and movie divisions.Click to expand...
eSports

Sony has also been slow to embrace the surging potential for esports, a market based around a global audience estimated at 167m that watch online streams of professionals playing games at the highest level.

Industry analysts believe that Sony will be keen to rectify that through its next console, by ensuring that its machines are deemed powerful enough to host top level esport events.

Sony Interactive Entertainment, the division responsible for PlayStation, said it was considering various options to strengthen its position in esports, which it sees as an effective way to encourage users to play a game for a longer period of time and to enhance the social role of games.Click to expand...
Could be similar to PS4:

People in the games publishing industry with knowledge of Sony's plans for a future console said that early indications were that it might not represent a major departure from the PS4, and that the fundamental architecture would be similar.Click to expand...

darkknightkryta

This is a whole lot of nothing.  

Legend

I'd hope the PS5 is like the PS4. It'd be crazy at this point in time to try redefining how consoles work.

Ludicrous Speed

the-pi-guy

This is a whole lot of nothing.  
Woah
Yeah I just thought it was hilarious people were making such a big deal about this.