Learning a language? Come share your progress here!

Started by Legend, Dec 20, 2016, 06:31 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

the-pi-guy

Because spoken language has a couple thousand sounds yet we only have 26 letters. If you want to keep the language an alphabet, it'd be impossible to not have letters affect the pronunciation of other letters. Not that English couldn't do with a spelling reform but that could never get rid of all different pronunciations for the same chains of letters.
Just spell slaughter as slawter.  

There's a lot of reasons why English spelling is bad.  
Pronunciations change, and the spellings don't. For example the words knife and knight, once upon a time you'd pronounce the 'k'.

We also borrowed a lot of words from other languages like French especially, Greek, and others without properly changing it.  

Japanese doesn't have that issue, but it largely helps they have fewer sounds as well as a strictly phonetic character group.  

Legend

Just spell slaughter as slawter.  

There's a lot of reasons why English spelling is bad.  
Pronunciations change, and the spellings don't. For example the words knife and knight, once upon a time you'd pronounce the 'k'.

We also borrowed a lot of words from other languages like French especially, Greek, and others without properly changing it.  

Japanese doesn't have that issue, but it largely helps they have fewer sounds as well as a strictly phonetic character group.  
If slaughter becomes slawter, then what about lawyer and other words with "law" that doesn't sound like law?

Yeah English definitely has a lot of history that screw it up, but it's impossible to avoid completely. Would be interesting to see a computer attempt a spelling reform to try to get as few alternate pronunciations as possible. Or better yet, let the computer start from scratch and calculate how many letters are needed to get no alternate pronunciations within standard words.

the-pi-guy

If slaughter becomes slawter, then what about lawyer and other words with "law" that doesn't sound like law?
loiyer or something.  

Would be interesting to see a computer attempt a spelling reform to try to get as few alternate pronunciations as possible. Or better yet, let the computer start from scratch and calculate how many letters are needed to get no alternate pronunciations within standard words.
There's pretty much a whole field dedicated to this already.
Help:IPA/English - Wikipedia

There are some languages that have hundreds of sounds not in English, but English uses a pretty small subset of sounds.  

Legend

loiyer or something.  
There's pretty much a whole field dedicated to this already.
Help:IPA/English - Wikipedia

There are some languages that have hundreds of sounds not in English, but English uses a pretty small subset of sounds.  
Oh I didn't mean IPA. That's something every conlanger deals with. Guess it's pretty similar though.

the-pi-guy

Have you ever watched this?

the-pi-guy

I will probably have to take a Chinese course in the fall.  They aren't offering the Japanese course I could take, and I need another language credit.

But I'm nervous.  

Chinese is super different.  

Go Up