Release Date : September 9, 2014
Platforms : PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, Xbox One
Developer : Bungie
Publisher : Activision
This is a community thread to discuss all things Destiny. Please try to stay on topic. Information about the game will be added to the OP as it becomes available. News, interviews, screenshots, and videos are all welcome!
Prior to Destiny's release, there were several misconceptions about the difficulty of Raids. Eric Osborne stated that on one particular raid, he and his team "spent over 45 minutes just cracking the entrance." Luke Smith clarified that the group probably "had some communication issues," adding that "once your group understands how to open the Vault, it's not going to take anywhere near 45 minutes." Eric also claimed that during a playtest, a group of players was not able to complete a Raid even after sixteen hours. Luke clarified this also by saying that those particular players were not given any help or advice about the gameplay or the raid's mechanics and that once a group understands the encounters, it shouldn't take longer than three hours to complete a Raid.
- There will be five story/exploration maps at launch. The maps are on Earth, the Moon, Venus, Mars, and the Reef.
- Strikes are 3-man group content that offer increasing challenges. There will be six of them at launch.
- Raids are 6-man group content that offer very difficult challenges. The Vault of Glass will be the first raid available.
- The Crucible is the name of Destiny's PvP. It will launch with 6 objective modes and 10 maps. Some modes are 3-v-3, some are 6-v-6, and one is a free-for-all.
- The Iron Banner is a different take on the Crucible. It uses the same objectives and maps but it does not balance the gear. He who has the best stats has the advantage.
- There are currently 9 different weapon classes in the game across 3 types.
- Primary Weapons are Scout Rifles, Pulse Rifles, Auto Rifles, and Hand Cannons.
- Secondary Weapons are Shotguns, Sniper Rifles, and Fusion Rifles.
- Heavy Weapons are Machine Guns and Rocket Launchers.
- Weapons are not class restricted. Any class can use any weapon and no class has an affinity for certain weapons.
- Exotic is the highest rarity of an item. You may only have one piece of Exotic armor and one Exotic weapon equipped at any one time.
- Your class determines what kind of armor you wear, what sub-classes you can use, and which of the three base stats you favor.
- Titans favor armor, Hunters favor agility, and Warlocks favor recovery.
- Each class has multiple sub-classes that dramatically change the way you play. The sub-class can make you defensive, offensive, supportive.
- The known Titan sub-classes are Striker, which makes you a tough melee opponent, and Defender, which makes you invaluable for keeping allies alive through damage reduction.
- The known Hunter sub-classes are Gunslinger, which makes you dangerous at medium range, and Bladedancer, which makes you sneaky and lethal in melee.
- The known Warlock sub-classes are Voidwalker, which makes you a dangerous area-of-effect opponent, and Sunsinger, which makes your allies more powerful and allows you a group revive.
- Some items in the game will give you access to a bonus from one of your sub-classes. Essentially allowing you to double-dip where normally you had to choose one or the other.
Titan, Warlock, Hunter
The Fallen are a nomadic race of four-armed bipedal humanoids. They are a species of pirates and mercenaries located on Earth and the Moon, and are one of the primary antagonist races in the Destiny series.
The Hive are an impossibly ancient race that battled humanity at the end of the Golden Age. They reside on the Moon, where they have burrowed deep within its lifeless core, carving out a kingdom for themselves. They have been silent and buried among many dark and terrible secrets, staying there for centuries while growing stronger. They serve as a reminder of the tremendous power that brought forth the Collapse.
The Vex are a partly robotic, time-traveling alien species. From their stronghold on Venus, they launch endless waves of metal armies towards human civilizations in an enigmatic quest for domination.
Cabal are a race of giant bipedal humanoids located on Mars and one of the primary antagonist species in Destiny. The Cabal empire is a military-industrial complex determined to expand and conquer, and is characterized by size, with everything about the Cabal being massive, from soldiers to equipment and vehicles.
The Darkness is an ancient, mysterious enemy of The Traveler and is the cause of the Collapse, the cataclysmic event that ended humanity's Golden Age. The Traveler sacrificed itself to save humanity from it, and following its last battle against it, became silent and dormant in the place it now rests, hovering low above Earth and protecting The City.
Though few remember exactly what the Darkness is, it is returning to finish its war against the Traveler and humanity. Guardians must push it back and wake the Traveler in time, or humanity could be lost.