Xbox One Kinect stand-alone to hit the market October 6 for $149

Started by Legend, Aug 27, 2014, 06:35 AM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Xevross

Max King of the Wild

If the Kinect is 150 dollar product then the XB1 should be 350 dollars. If MS was able to only cut 100 dollars to the consumer by removing the Kinect then the stand alone should be 100 dollars as well. Needless to say this is a rip off and Ms probably thought of a way to capitalize on being forced to abandon their vision. However, if people are unwilling to spend 500 dollars on a console with Kinect then I assume less people are willing to spend 400 dollars on a console and 150 dollars on a peripheral they'll never really use.

7H3

$150 is a good price point any less and those that wanted both would buy it separately. This gives the Kinect bundle a better perceived value
"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend

Max King of the Wild

$150 is a good price point any less and those that wanted both would buy it separately. This gives the Kinect bundle a better perceived value
why should any of that matter? MS isn't in competition with itself.

7H3

because if I want an xbox one, and am at least partly interested in kinect at some point I may be more enticed to buy the kinect bundle over the kinectless sku as the bundle would save me $50 if I wanted both.

Max King of the Wild

because if I want an xbox one, and am at least partly interested in kinect at some point I may be more enticed to buy the kinect bundle over the kinectless sku as the bundle would save me $50 if I wanted both.
and.... If it was the same price you'd be more inclined to buy the Kinect in the future. Ms is getting the money either way. Why does perceived value matter to the bundle? Why would they want to sell the bundle over both components separately when they'd be getting the money anyway.

7H3

and.... If it was the same price you'd be more inclined to buy the Kinect in the future. Ms is getting the money either way. Why does perceived value matter to the bundle? Why would they want to sell the bundle over both components separately when they'd be getting the money anyway.

no if I was on the fence about the product then the same value either way I may never buy the thing. The perceived value of saving $50 will affect impulse buyers and gain more money in one purchase for MS, where as same price point one may never buy it. Thereunto if I don't see that perceived value of buying both together when making my purchase I will more likely opt for the sku with out it and just maybe buy it later separately as there would be no difference in value for those purchasing a new Xbox ONE for the first time. If they didn't price the kinect higher then no one would really buy the bundle except to save on packaging if they were buying both at the same time, and would more likely opt to buy a game or just save their money and just maybe buy the thing later if they feel like it. Having it priced more doesn't really affect those wanting to buy it later, but it does affect those thinking about getting an xbox one as they would know that the extra cost more seperately so it would be better to buy it together and save money. This will cause consumers who might be interested in the xbox one more likely to buy it with the kinect initially rather than not at all.

Raven

It's just Microsoft overpricing the Kinect to make the $500 package look better.

7H3

It's just Microsoft overpricing the Kinect to make the $500 package look better.

exactly

Max King of the Wild

no if I was on the fence about the product then the same value either way I may never buy the thing. The perceived value of saving $50 will affect impulse buyers and gain more money in one purchase for MS, where as same price point one may never buy it. Thereunto if I don't see that perceived value of buying both together when making my purchase I will more likely opt for the sku with out it and just maybe buy it later separately as there would be no difference in value for those purchasing a new Xbox ONE for the first time. If they didn't price the kinect higher then no one would really buy the bundle except to save on packaging if they were buying both at the same time, and would more likely opt to buy a game or just save their money and just maybe buy the thing later if they feel like it. Having it priced more doesn't really affect those wanting to buy it later, but it does affect those thinking about getting an xbox one as they would know that the extra cost more seperately so it would be better to buy it together and save money. This will cause consumers who might be interested in the xbox one more likely to buy it with the kinect initially rather than not at all.
you can use this exact same argument for people on the fence about Kinect that at one point may buy the kinect.

7H3

you can use this exact same argument for people on the fence about Kinect that at one point may buy the kinect.

I'm not sure what you mean here... of course having the option available helps those that might want the kinect, but don't want it right now or to spend the money on it right now...
but having it at the same price as the difference would definitely decrease sales of those already dusty bundles... pricing it higher gives it a better perceived value as you "save" money. Other than that the only value is maybe convenience, but that probably won't rate high for most customers as saving $100 bucks by not getting the thing to begin with when if they are on the fence they can just pick it up later at no perceived "loss" of price point. 

Raven

People are more willing to spend more money when they think they're getting a deal. It's the psychology of the ignorant consumer. Microsoft is targetting new buyers with this strategy. Those that bought the $400 package may or may not grab the Kinect later but marketing ploys from the past have shown that you're certain to snag a few fish with perceived deals on new buyers. It could even serve to make the $500 package the more popular option. Which Microsoft would love because it would mean a significant boost in sales to a $500 package that they don't have to lose money on by providing a free game. It's a small gamble for them.

7H3

People are more willing to spend more money when they think they're getting a deal. It's the psychology of the ignorant consumer. Microsoft is targetting new buyers with this strategy. Those that bought the $400 package may or may not grab the Kinect later but marketing ploys from the past have shown that you're certain to snag a few fish with perceived deals on new buyers. It could even serve to make the $500 package the more popular option. Which Microsoft would love because it would mean a significant boost in sales to a $500 package that they don't have to lose money on by providing a free game. It's a small gamble for them.

also without an added value to that package MS would have to spend more money on repackaging to make them kinect less if they stop selling, or have too many pre made original packages that aren't selling

Max King of the Wild

Aug 27, 2014, 05:23 PM Last Edit: Aug 27, 2014, 05:25 PM by Max King of the Wild

that would be true if the consumer hadn't already spoke and said kinect is not worth it. This won't change anything. ms should try and convince the people who don't want the kinect, which is the majority, to pick up the stand alone. And at this price they won't. Most people who wanted the xbox but not kinect will now just recoup their money by selling it for 100