Star Citizen no longer offering refunds to backers after 14 days

Started by Legend, Jul 16, 2018, 06:19 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Star Citizen no longer offering refunds to backers after 14 days | ResetEra

http://cogconnected.com/2018/07/star-citizen-supporters-can-no-longer-receive-refunds/

Anyone who backed Star Citizen, which has received an insane amount of crowdfunding, can no longer ask to be refunded by developer Cloud Imperium Games (CIG). Although standard means of asking for refunds were removed through the Star Citizen's June 6, 2016 Terms of Service (TOS) update, CIG stopped issuing them completely in December 2017.Click to expand...
Since December 2017, CIG has been ignoring all refund demands. One backer went so far as to take CIG to court, and apparently lost, claiming that the judge did not want to hear anything about the Terms of Service's (TOS's) "conscionability or lack of consideration."Click to expand...
Here's the reddit post of the person who took them to court: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen_refunds/comments/8ynrel/i_lost_in_court/

As my case was in small claims, there were no lawyers, CIG/RSI sent someone to represent their interests, but I dont wish to name them, as some people aren't so civil on the internet.

In mediation, CIG/RSI would not agree to refund the portion of my account not covered by the arbitration agreement.

Though lawyers aren't permitted, CIG/RSI lawyers drafted and submitted statements that were permitted.

The judge declined to hear anything about the conscionability or lack of consideration in the TOS.

Despite the top sentence on the TOS, CIG/RSI successfully argued that the arbitration clause should be applied to transactions even before the clause existed.

CIG/RSI repeatedly argued that there is a playable game and that funds have been earned, but the judge did not rule that either.

Following application of arbitration clause to transactions outside covered dates, court orders matter to arbitration, case is dismissed without prejudice.Click to expand...
(Mod Edit: Edited title to resolve some confusion)  

the-pi-guy

Lol, someone calling it a Ponzi scheme.  

Legend

Lol, someone calling it a Ponzi scheme.  
The internet really can't handle grey topics. Just because a game has dev issues and a wacky funding model, that doesn't mean it's all fake lol.