Why is there revisionist history about MS needing time to ramp up exclusives?

Started by Legend, May 17, 2018, 07:46 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Xbox used to have great exclusives. Halo was one of the biggest games around. Even the Xbox One itself was pretty good with them for the first couple years.

Why is the new narrative that the Xbox division is younger than PlayStation/Nintendo and that that's the primary problem?

Xevross

There's a narrative that Xbox division is younger? Well in some ways it is. The creators of Halo/ Gears are quite new, and aren't the original creators. But I think the thing is that they're closing studios, and their remaining studios have lost the majority of their talent/ never really had much anyway.

It also stems from Phil himself, who keeps saying he's rebuilding 1st party and it just needs time to bear fruit. And we're still waiting on that.

Legend

There's a narrative that Xbox division is younger? Well in some ways it is. The creators of Halo/ Gears are quite new, and aren't the original creators. But I think the thing is that they're closing studios, and their remaining studios have lost the majority of their talent/ never really had much anyway.

It also stems from Phil himself, who keeps saying he's rebuilding 1st party and it just needs time to bear fruit. And we're still waiting on that.
Yeah the new narrative that I've started to see is that Sony is on their 4th gen but Xbox is only on their 3rd, so next gen is when Xbox can start having awesome games like current PS4 exclusives.

For all the people asking about Exclusives all the time on Xbox. This is the realest 60 seconds you need to keep in mind from The Godfather of Xbox himself. : xboxone

the-pi-guy

I'm pretty sure I've seen a few Resetera threads saying something similar.  
I think a few even got linked here.  

But I found those really frustrating.  Sure they are younger, but that doesnt explain why they have been going backwards this gen.  

Dr. Pezus

I'm pretty sure I've seen a few Resetera threads saying something similar.  
I think a few even got linked here.  

But I found those really frustrating.  Sure they are younger, but that doesnt explain why they have been going backwards this gen.  
Plus Sony was mostly great last gen with first party

darkknightkryta

Yes Microsoft hasn't had enough time to make games like they used to.

BananaKing

Yes Microsoft hasn't had enough time to make games like they used to.
But Phil is super focused on first party. It's super important.

Mmm_fish_tacos

Bs, sony has had a solid first party sense ps2. It doesnt take 4 gens to learn to make great games.

the-pi-guy

This might be the thread I'm thinking of.
I feel like there was another thread.  

Phil Spencer: Our 1P will grow "with time (and yes that includes Singleplayer)" | ResetEra

I was on Twitter and I saw this quote from Phil Spencer in response to IGN's Ryan McCaffrey saying that Xbox needs something like God of War. This could possibly mean there are more projects in development similar to the story-based Fable reboot Playground Games is working on that we know won't come out for a few years.  Lock if old.  
Phil: "continuing to grow our 1P will take time"

A lot of people are calling it BS, but then there's a few that are defending and saying things like:

"To their defense it also takes years to develop games and create studios."

In more Xbox central groups, I'm sure these are vastly more common excuses.  

Kerotan

Because people are like dogs lapping up what ever pr Dr Phil spews their way. Even under his leadership their output has been utter crud. State of decay ironically the latest flop.

Xevross

Because people are like dogs lapping up what ever pr Dr Phil spews their way. Even under his leadership their output has been utter crud. State of decay ironically the latest flop.
Yeah, its kind of ironic that this is coming from Microsoft themselves, with Phil constantly promising/ saying stuff that just doesn't come to fruition. At least MS are doing some things right HW wise, and they're bringing their games to PC so more people can play them.

darkknightkryta

In a way I kinda feel bad for Phil cause, let's be real, the higher ups at Microsoft washed their hands of the division, there isn't going to be anything that isn't Forza, Gears or Halo, so he has to handle the PR of Microsoft the company not giving a shame.  I just wish he took more control and make their next console just a "steam box" that way they can focus back to being "Microsoft" while pushing their store to make purchases over Steam (Which isn't going to happen but oh well).