The VR thread. U R Not red(e) PSVR2 is legitimate!

Started by Mmm_fish_tacos, Sep 05, 2015, 06:10 PM

previous topic - next topic

How sick of Pi's VR hype are you?

Go Down

the-pi-guy

Legend

Sony filed a patent related to hand tracking .

US20180292911A1 - Gaming Device With Rotatably Placed Cameras
      - Google Patents

Apparently they've owned a company that deals with this for a while.
Sony Acquires SoftKinetic, Which Can Track Hands for Virtual Reality - Recode

Hand tracking for the Star Wars VR thing I did worked surprisingly well. I don't think games should use hands as input methods but there's something special about holding your hand out and being able to see it.

the-pi-guy

Legend

the-pi-guy

That'd suck.
Yeah.  :-\
Facebook seems to have been doing a good job with managing Oculus thus far, so I am hopeful.  But it's certainly isn't out of the question.  

Legend

Yeah.  :-\
Facebook seems to have been doing a good job with managing Oculus thus far, so I am hopeful.  But it's certainly isn't out of the question.  
Oculus shouldn't have sold to FaceBook unless they had some sort of control or assurance that high end VR wouldn't be ignored.

Maybe this will just open the door for ex Oculus people to start up their own company again.

the-pi-guy

Posted today:

Sony Patents New System For Local Multiplayer VR

A local multiplayer VR patent. Also mentions wireless VR.

Posted last month:

Sony Patents VR Headset That Combats Simulation Sickness

A headset with a crud ton of biometric sensor to detect motion sickness.

Legend

Posted today:

Sony Patents New System For Local Multiplayer VR

A local multiplayer VR patent. Also mentions wireless VR.

Posted last month:

Sony Patents VR Headset That Combats Simulation Sickness

A headset with a crud ton of biometric sensor to detect motion sickness.
First patent seems like an odd thing to be able to patent.

Second patent seems like a poor way to tell a user what they already would know.

Still though, shows that Sony is interested in what VR could evolve into.

the-pi-guy

the-pi-guy

A Pokemon VR game would be awesome.  
So would something like Luigi's Mansion .

Another thought.  I wonder if there's a VR game where objects are physical or not depending on player actions.  Imagine being a ghost where you can phase through walls, but also are able to grab things.  

the-pi-guy

Another thought:

It'd be cool if games could map certain things to the really world.  
Like imagine if you had a table and chair in your space.  If you tried teleporting to a location that had a table and chair, it would map the virtual objects to the real ones.  

the-pi-guy

Sorry, these posts are getting me excited.  

So would something like Luigi's Mansion .
Idea: have a mansion where every room is the same size as the play space.  

Players could safely walk around, and then the only teleportation would be when changing rooms.  

Legend

Sorry, these posts are getting me excited.  

Idea: have a mansion where every room is the same size as the play space.  

Players could safely walk around, and then the only teleportation would be when changing rooms.  
A procedural game like that could be cool. I don't know how large the play area is with pc headsets but it'd also be cool if it divided up different rooms in different ways. e.g. if a chair in real life is detected and put into the game as an object, then in one level it'd be at the center of the room while in another it'd be near a wall. Really mess with the brain so the player doesn't think about the fact they've been in the same place the whole time.

You really really need to try out The Void VR or another similar thing. It felt like I was exploring a massive military base since the whole thing was seamless. Walk in to a Tron like room, put on the headsets. Headsets show the same tron like environment. Then that fizzes out and you're inside a transport ship being piloted by the robot from rogue one. You look down and you see Stormtrooper hands. Instantly I start thinking "oh shoot, they forgot to hand us our guns." Well the robot explains the mission and we're going in without guns so that we blend in. Ship lands, we walk out of the ship down the ramp. Then we ride a floating platform up to the entrance. We get deeper and deeper inside until we are eventually forced to fight our way out. We see vr guns on a gun rack and walk over to them. Sure enough the guns are in the real world too and I pick them up and pass them around to the rest of the party. Then we go guns blazing and traverse a different way out of the place. We got distracted a few times and just shot each other since you felt each shot as a haptic vibration.

The actual quality of the VR hardware was pretty standard but it was so amazing and weird being in a VR environment that felt like a physical space instead of just a visual space. I tried to avoid touching stuff since I'm used to VR working like it does at home but I think practically everything was physical. I sat on a bench, pushed buttons to open doors, stepped over slime on the floor, etc.

the-pi-guy

A procedural game like that could be cool. I don't know how large the play area is with pc headsets but it'd also be cool if it divided up different rooms in different ways. e.g. if a chair in real life is detected and put into the game as an object, then in one level it'd be at the center of the room while in another it'd be near a wall. Really mess with the brain so the player doesn't think about the fact they've been in the same place the whole time.
At least with the Oculus Rift, you have to draw out your play area.  You can make them fairly big, or draw out weird shapes.
You basically take the controller hold it to the edge of where you want to play and hold the button while moving the controller across the edges.  

At least that's where the guardian wall is placed.  The play area is a big rectangle in that space.  

The Rick and Morty game uses that play space, and maps it to the closest virtual space.  So two different players will have a slightly different garage depending on how big their place space is.

Procedurally generating a room based on your play space and where you are and taking advantage of how the room is set up, could be really, really cool.  

You really really need to try out The Void VR or another similar thing. It felt like I was exploring a massive military base since the whole thing was seamless. Walk in to a Tron like room, put on the headsets. Headsets show the same tron like environment. Then that fizzes out and you're inside a transport ship being piloted by the robot from rogue one. You look down and you see Stormtrooper hands. Instantly I start thinking "oh shoot, they forgot to hand us our guns." Well the robot explains the mission and we're going in without guns so that we blend in. Ship lands, we walk out of the ship down the ramp. Then we ride a floating platform up to the entrance. We get deeper and deeper inside until we are eventually forced to fight our way out. We see vr guns on a gun rack and walk over to them. Sure enough the guns are in the real world too and I pick them up and pass them around to the rest of the party. Then we go guns blazing and traverse a different way out of the place. We got distracted a few times and just shot each other since you felt each shot as a haptic vibration.

The actual quality of the VR hardware was pretty standard but it was so amazing and weird being in a VR environment that felt like a physical space instead of just a visual space. I tried to avoid touching stuff since I'm used to VR working like it does at home but I think practically everything was physical. I sat on a bench, pushed buttons to open doors, stepped over slime on the floor, etc.
Yeah, it sounds really cool and I'd love to be able to try it once.  Not sure when I could get a chance.  

the-pi-guy

Go Up