The VR thread. U R Not red(e) PSVR2 is legitimate!

Started by Mmm_fish_tacos, Sep 05, 2015, 06:10 PM

previous topic - next topic

How sick of Pi's VR hype are you?

Go Down

the-pi-guy

Bought Arizona Sunshine and Superhot.

$65 worth of games in a $30 bundle that I used my $15 credit on.

Probably will regret getting Arizona, probably too scary for me.

the-pi-guy

Superhot is way intense.  It's also trippy.  I feel exhausted just from a short play.  

Legend

Superhot is way intense.  It's also trippy.  I feel exhausted just from a short play.  
Have you played it in non vr?

the-pi-guy

Just finished Lucky's Tale.  Was nice.

I'm feeling motivated to make a game...
Have you played it in non vr?
No, this is my first Super hot experience. 

Legend

Just finished Lucky's Tale.  Was nice.

I'm feeling motivated to make a game...
Do it!

I'm working on 5 games simultaneously and loving it  ;)

the-pi-guy

Do it!
The nice thing is I have a week off from school, so I actually have some time to do something.

Legend

The nice thing is I have a week off from school, so I actually have some time to do something.
It's a game jam!

the-pi-guy

Legend

the-pi-guy

I just tried the first 30 seconds of Arizona Sunshine.  
I don't think anyone cares, but this is what happened in "spoilers":
Spoiler for Hidden:
<br>It starts off easy, you&#39;re in a cave. &nbsp;Safe and sound. &nbsp;<br><br>Then a zombie head rolls in. &nbsp;And you have to shoot it to kill it. &nbsp;<br><br><span style="font-size: 1em;" class="bbc_size">Moments like that make VR feel too effective. &nbsp;Really freaky seeing this zombie head just laying on the ground. &nbsp;</span><br><br><span style="font-size: 1em;" class="bbc_size">I stopped playing when a horde of zombies started getting closer to me. &nbsp;They were still a good 15 feet away, but that&#39;s all I could handle.</span><br><br><span style="font-size: 1em;" class="bbc_size">This is a game I&#39;ll have to ease into... &nbsp; If I make it into it at all for that matter.</span><br>

Also, how the headset sits on your head makes a huge difference for fidelity.  A lot bigger than one might expect.  

the-pi-guy

Moss is a system seller :o    

"Mom is 65 and has never played games. Yesterday I let her play Moss, and today she sent me this picture"

Dr. Pezus

Moss is a system seller :o    

"Mom is 65 and has never played games. Yesterday I let her play Moss, and today she sent me this picture"

Lolwat

the-pi-guy

Ah, these past two weeks, I've just been getting really hyped about VR.  (As anyone can tell by following this thread...)

Got more in depth with Brass Tactics.  
You manage the army.  There's very little management with the economic choices as far as I can tell.  The miners and stuff are generated based on what upgrades you gave your castle.  A lot of the game is very simplified.  Like you can't manage one unit at a time, instead you manage squads that are usually 5 people.  The stuff you can build is limited to about 10 different things that you are able to place.  You get those things by turning your wrist and they appear where your hand is.

There's a lot of cool stuff here though.  Sending people to attack is fun.  The game is very swift, with creating units and placing buildings.  

The game causes me a bit of motion sickness.  Not too bad to the point that I have to stop.  It's just barely noticeable.  It happens because you move the entire landscape with your hands.  Imagine dragging a landscape closer to you.  
It's very cool.  And I think I will buy it sometime when I have a chance.  

I finished Rick and Morty, wish there was more to it, to be honest.  Was a lot of fun though.  

Played a little more of Arizona Sunshine.  I really don't know how much of that game I'll be able to handle.  I shot at a zombie.  Killed it.  Teleported to the other side of it. Heard a moan.  Turned around.  Zombie wasn't actually dead.  Was about 10 feet away.  Turned the game off.  Was shaking for a good 5-10 minutes afterwards....  
Jeepers.

I want more games.  I want Real Time Strategy.  I want First Person Shooter.  I want Third Person Platformer.  I want... just everything.  I don't care if it gives me motion sickness.  I want to play it. :P

the-pi-guy

Oculus Go has clear limitations in terms of performance and features, and its biggest feature sacrifice will absolutely limit its software potential. But make no mistake; this is a high-quality, specific-scope device that can get people into affordable, quality, and lower-hassle VR experiences.

What I did test was the most exciting, newly revealed feature of Oculus Go, at least as a budget device: a screen-refresh overclock to 72Hz, up from its default 60Hz rate. Liu explained to Ars that Oculus' internal testing has found a sweet spot for frame rate that works out as "good enough" for most players, and developers are now free to target that refresh--assuming that Go's dynamic throttling system doesn't kick in and reduce the frame rate at inopportune times, anyway.

However, when you get up from a chair while using Oculus Go, you'll run into limits because the hardware doesn't support a true "six degrees of freedom" (6DOF).

If all of that sounds like a bummer, then let me circle back to the Oculus Go's gorgeous 2560x1440 resolution screen. Its high-quality lenses, its lack of overwhelming light-blur ghosting, and its sharp color reproduction all make me wonder who in the heck Oculus is sourcing its LCD panels from. I have never seen a low-cost VR device produce such stunning visuals.

Oculus has advertised this product as its first major product to employ a "fast-switch" panel, and I'm absolutely sold on its ability to solve low-cost VR's usual problems. (And I put my face into four of these devices, so I don't think Oculus tricked me with a single fluke unit.)
Oculus Go world premiere: Acceptable compromises, amazing quality for $199 | Ars Technica

the-pi-guy

Go Up