PlayStation Studios Development

Started by the-pi-guy, Mar 27, 2015, 08:29 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

DerNebel

Still hasn't made a game (since infamous). It's been years! 
Well yeah, that's just the nature of triple A development this gen, it takes years to make games. And the fact that they are making a new IP just adds to the dev time, they'll want to hit it out of the park, after all Sony has become pretty ruthless towards studios that don't produce huge hits this gen, well at least they are ruthless if the studio doesn't come from Japan.

Horizon

At least Japan Studio are more productive which means they can be less reliant on other studios. Oh and btw I expect the next Horizon to be out in early 2020. Guerrilla are a big and very efficient studio who have everything set up to enable to follow up with a killer sequel to Horizon.

Legend

At least Japan Studio are more productive which means they can be less reliant on other studios. Oh and btw I expect the next Horizon to be out in early 2020. Guerrilla are a big and very efficient studio who have everything set up to enable to follow up with a killer sequel to Horizon.
I bet it'll come out in 2019. They can work fast.

the-pi-guy

Plus with Horizon, they have the genre pretty well set.  

Also, they have a game engine together and they surely have a good system with another team to help with engine work.

the-pi-guy

Legend

I was going through using this info to try to predict when PS5 would release, but what I realised was that PS4 sucked with first party exclusives for the first few years. Killzone, Knack, Infamous, Uncharted 4, and MLB games were their only first party exclusives till 2016. Bloodborne was their only big exclusive in 2015 and it wasn't fully first party.

So hopefully the jump to PS5 doesn't slow Sony down again. It's awesome how strong their first party is feeling and it'd suck to go into another drought.

Xevross

I was going through using this info to try to predict when PS5 would release, but what I realised was that PS4 sucked with first party exclusives for the first few years. Killzone, Knack, Infamous, Uncharted 4, and MLB games were their only first party exclusives till 2016. Bloodborne was their only big exclusive in 2015 and it wasn't fully first party.

So hopefully the jump to PS5 doesn't slow Sony down again. It's awesome how strong their first party is feeling and it'd suck to go into another drought.
Yeah it seems like this year and next year are the next big cycle for Sony games. Since games are taking 3-4 years + now, this means these companies can be perfectly ready for some titles early in PS5's life. It'll be Guerrilla, ND and Sucker Punch who will be late to the party as they release games late on PS4.

DerNebel

I've been saying for years that Sony supported the PS3 for way too long, I can think of at least a 3 late PS3 games that imo would have been better suited as early PS4 titles.

Legend

Yeah it seems like this year and next year are the next big cycle for Sony games. Since games are taking 3-4 years + now, this means these companies can be perfectly ready for some titles early in PS5's life. It'll be Guerrilla, ND and Sucker Punch who will be late to the party as they release games late on PS4.
Is Horizon 2 rumored for PS4? I figure it'd be a pretty good candidate for a next gen launch title.

And yeah if PS5 transition doesn't slow down development too much, a 2021 could be pretty solid. Anything earlier and it'd really help to have 2nd/3rd party help to fill in the gaps.

I've been saying for years that Sony supported the PS3 for way too long, I can think of at least a 3 late PS3 games that imo would have been better suited as early PS4 titles.
It's a tough call. Send out the old system with a bang so people have more confidence in the new system and its future, or abandon the old and push the new. Switch was the opposite of PS4 and both strategies seem to be viable.

I mean sure TLOU as a PS4 launch exclusive would have been incredible but the system was selling out anyway.

DerNebel

Feb 05, 2018, 09:49 PM Last Edit: Feb 05, 2018, 10:01 PM by DerNebel
Is Horizon 2 rumored for PS4? I figure it'd be a pretty good candidate for a next gen launch title.

And yeah if PS5 transition doesn't slow down development too much, a 2021 could be pretty solid. Anything earlier and it'd really help to have 2nd/3rd party help to fill in the gaps.

It's a tough call. Send out the old system with a bang so people have more confidence in the new system and its future, or abandon the old and push the new. Switch was the opposite of PS4 and both strategies seem to be viable.

I mean sure TLOU as a PS4 launch exclusive would have been incredible but the system was selling out anyway.
TLOU actually wasn't one of the games I was thinking about, I believe that was the perfect PS3 swan song.

The games I thought about are: Sly Cooper 4, God of War Ascension and Gran Turismo 6. God of War is arguable I guess, but I think it's obvious that Sly Cooper 4 would have done a lot better as a PS4 launch title (it should've replaced Knack completely imo) and that Gran Turismo 6 didn't come to PS4 at all I can only explain with Sony wanting to give Driveclub breathing room.

Overall I think that each of these 3 games would have done noticably better, had they launched during the first 12 months of the PS4s life than they did on PS3, plus they would have alleviated some of the early worries about the systems first party situation as well.

Dr. Pezus

Tlou, beyond, gt6

the-pi-guy

Made some changes to the OP.  
Updated with some history.  Hopefully it doesn't look too awful.

Legend

Made some changes to the OP.  
Updated with some history.  Hopefully it doesn't look too awful.
If there's any formatting or code things you'd like, let me know. Improving the look of detailed posts is one of the things we should work on.

Kerotan

Well the awesome support the ps3 got gave the ps4 a lot of goodwill over xbox.

They should continue to make games for PS4 in 2019 and 2020 but this time port them all to ps5. Enhanced to native 4k 60fps  

the-pi-guy

Go Up