VizionEck

Started by Legend, May 31, 2015, 07:32 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

I really want to get the game looking like this:

but man are reflections horribly faked in every other game. Screen space reflections don't work, cube maps don't work, reflection probes don't work, etc. My surfaces are just too clear and flat.

So now that I've exhausted all the existing solutions, I'm starting on my own. My current plan of attack is to use my "clear and flat" art style to my advantage. I'll render a full pass getting the coordinates of the planes in the scene, or calculate this from the depth+normal buffer. The resulting buffer should have all similar reflection planes "grouped up" and only include ones that are actually visible on screen. This could be around ~50 unique reflection planes per frame.

For each and every one I'd render a proper reflection, apply a distance blur, and stencil it back on the surface. Would take a frick tone of power compared to my current rendering, but I think I could get it to run on standard PS4. If need be I could decrease reflection resolution and framerate.

How's that sound to anyone who understood my ill written ramble?

Legend

I've got the "easy" half finished. This render pass encodes the surface normal to the green and blue channels, while it encodes the distance between the camera and the plane in red. End result is that all triangles with the same normal and distance are rendered the same color. I can then hopefully have the GPU read each pixel and make a list of everything that shows up a significant amount of times. This will determine all reflection planes that are visible and important in the current frame.

Legend

How is this so complicated!?!?!?!?!?

I can't figure out a way to get the colors from the screen in an efficient manner. The trivial way would be to have a script go from pixel to pixel and check if that color has been recorded or not. If it has been recorded, add one to the number of occurrences. Otherwise add it to the array. The obvious problem with this is that it'd take a long time covering every pixel.

The fast way is to use the GPU and crunch all the pixels simultaneously, but I seemingly can't read from the array, only write to it. This shouldn't be this hard! I guess I'll be trying my hand at a compute shader with multiple passes.

the-pi-guy

Lol, the joys.  

Legend

I've reached (more or less) the 3 year anniversary of starting work on VizionEck.

So here's a picture from last September.

the-pi-guy

I've reached (more or less) the 3 year anniversary of starting work on VizionEck.
3 years.  How times flies.  :o

Legend

Haha with No Man's Sky releasing there have been a ton of complaints about the field of view being horribly small. People determined the FOV was 60 degrees.

VizionEck's FOV is 60 degrees...

Spoiler for Hidden:
I've been kinda stressing out over this for the past few days, but I just realised Unity is an oddball and measures FOV vertically instead of horizontally. In normal game terms, VizionEck's FOV is ~91. Yay!

Kerotan

Do you think this game will release in 2017?

the-pi-guy

Do you think this game will release in 2017?
Release Date: When It Is Ready
Release Window: (2016-End of Time)

Legend

Release Date: When It Is Ready
Release Window: (2016-End of Time)
I can just keep passing the game down generation to generation. Make it the family business.

Legend

Sep 07, 2016, 04:43 AM Last Edit: Sep 07, 2016, 06:44 AM by Legend
One idea I have with adventure is to keep all the puzzles "within" the game.

It's fun when a puzzle needs you to apply logic, but imo it isn't fun when a puzzle needs you to google. Ie putting a sound file in spectrograph and then convert that image from sign language. Kinda cool to read about, but not cool to solve yourself.

As long as you have the general understanding of a person passed middle school, you should have the background to 100% Adventure.

Game will be very very hard at times, but I'm doing my best to keep it fair.

On the subject of difficulty, don't worry. The game is non linear open world so that you don't need to solve every puzzle to reach the end. Plus every main puzzle has a name that shows up when you pause. That way googling for hints is less likely to spoil other puzzles.

SWORDF1SH

One idea I have with adventure is to keep all the puzzles "within" the game.

It's fun when a puzzle needs you to apply logic, but imo it isn't fun when a puzzle needs you to google. Ie putting a sound file in spectrograph and then convert that image from sign language. Kinda cool to read about, but not cool to solve yourself.

As long as you have the general understanding of a person passed middle school, you should have the background to 100% Adventure.

Game will be very very hard at times, but I'm doing my best to keep it fair.

On the subject of difficulty, don't worry. The game is non linear open world so that you don't need to solve every puzzle to reach the end. Plus every main puzzle has a name that shows up when you pause. That way googling for hints is less likely to spoil other puzzles.
OMG I want this game now. This is exactly my sort of thing.

Legend

I don't have PS4 Pro hardware yet, but I can confidently say VizionEck will run at 4K 60fps for some of the game skins. I mean heck it manages 4K 60fps with a few game skins on PS4 even.

Mmm_fish_tacos

I don't have PS4 Pro hardware yet, but I can confidently say VizionEck will run at 4K 60fps for some of the game skins. I mean heck it manages 4K 60fps with a few game skins on PS4 even.
When do you get yours?

Legend

When do you get yours?
When I order it.  ;)

Kinda the same deal as VR. I plan to support these cool things but my priority is releasing the base game. Will patch VR post release and will do Pro once standard graphics are finished.

Go Up