Todd Howard on VR: 'Historically, the third generation is where it starts to become popular' | PC Gamer

Started by the-pi-guy, Jul 06, 2018, 08:20 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Todd Howard on VR: 'Historically, the third generation is where it starts to become popular' | PC Gamer

Speaking to Venturebeat (via Shack News) at Gamelab, Howard says he prefers virtual reality to augmented reality and is confident in the hardware's long-term appeal. "I'm a little more VR than AR," Howards tells VB. "We did Fallout and Skyrim in VR. We're just about to enter the second generation of VR. Historically, the third generation is where it starts to become popular."

the-pi-guy

I really love this.  Seems like they don't have much of an expectation for success any time soon.  

Bodes well for their support in the next few years I think.  

Legend

I really love this.  Seems like they don't have much of an expectation for success any time soon.  

Bodes well for their support in the next few years I think.  
I think with VR, everyone knows it's the future. Some companies will drop out because it's not happening fast enough but it's coming regardless.

the-pi-guy

I think with VR, everyone knows it's the future. Some companies will drop out because it's not happening fast enough but it's coming regardless.
Sometimes I feel pretty pessimistic that it won't end up happening.  That people will lose interest before it ends up going big.  

I'm usually a bit more optimistic, though.  Every person I've showed has been wowed.  Even older people who haven't played games in decades, were blown away.  

I think what we will see:
Second gen will bring variable focus, 4k screens, and a few other enhancements.  

Third gen will probably bring a smaller form factor and the headsets will be capable of AR or VR.  

darkknightkryta

Sony's been taking VR pretty slowly to be honest, I think they're gonna stick with it.  They kept shilling the shame out of 3D last gen.  I think they're doing a better  job with VR.  I just hope they update the Move controllers.  They essentially need to be what the joycons are.  But with its 1-1 motion tracking.

Legend

Sony's been taking VR pretty slowly to be honest, I think they're gonna stick with it.  They kept shilling the shame out of 3D last gen.  I think they're doing a better  job with VR.  I just hope they update the Move controllers.  They essentially need to be what the joycons are.  But with its 1-1 motion tracking.
Move needs better tracking too. They're great for tracking position but rotation drifts pretty fast depending on the game.

the-pi-guy

Sony's been taking VR pretty slowly to be honest, I think they're gonna stick with it.  They kept shilling the shame out of 3D last gen.  I think they're doing a better  job with VR.  I just hope they update the Move controllers.  They essentially need to be what the joycons are.  But with its 1-1 motion tracking.
I want something more like the Oculus Touch controllers.  
Those are awesome.  You can stretch out your fingers while using it.