VizionEck's campaign update: the challenge of an in game language, teaser image included

Started by Legend, Sep 02, 2014, 09:33 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Hi all,

From the beginning I knew the creatures in VizionEck existed in their own universe/reality. Sticking strictly within the game's lore, it'd make no sense for these creatures to speak English or another language we're used to.

A simple solution would've been to make a new alphabet and simply convert the letters back and fourth. This is pretty common in games and I'm sure you've encountered it before. The problem with this method though, is it doesn't actually solve the original conundrum. The creature's language would still be based on English, so strictly sticking within the game's lore it'd also not make any sense.

The next stage up in creating the creature's language would be creating a fully new language, similar to what is often times done with movies. Klingon, Navi, etc. I was taking this route with the creature's language. That was until I realized even this method was cheating the game's lore. Alphabets, pronouns, subjects, etc. are all human inventions. I needed to go to the very core of what makes a language a language and split off from there.

So I did. The creature's language allows for both spoken and written communication, but it's incredibly different than anything on Earth. I want people to "crack the code" for themselves once the game releases, so I won't spoil the specifics just yet. For now I'll leave you with just a taste of what the written form of the language looks like.

Please be excited,
-Mike

u4gReservoirDogs

I'm always willing to endure humiliation on behalf of my characters. - Ben Stiller

ethomaz

7H3

"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend

Legend

I'm excited, please show us!  ;D

Hmm. I truthfully hate having to market this game. I'd be so excited if people could start the campaign without knowing a single thing.

However, I guess that's up for consumers to decide if they want a media black out or not.

Fine, I'll turn on the marketing machine.

Pic added to OP.

u4gReservoirDogs

Hmm. I truthfully hate having to market this game. I'd be so excited if people could start the campaign without knowing a single thing.

However, I guess that's up for consumers to decide if they want a media black out or not.

Fine, I'll turn on the marketing machine.

Pic added to OP.

Ok ... did someone smite you too hard?  :o
I'm always willing to endure humiliation on behalf of my characters. - Ben Stiller

Legend

u4gReservoirDogs

Legend

I was actually really impressed with the output in the op.

I much prefer this font over the older one.

ethomaz

The pic shows the alphabet? Interesting... seems like based in symbols.

PS. Remember my quimic classes :D

Legend

The pic shows the alphabet? Interesting... seems like based in symbols.

PS. Remember my quimic classes :D

The pic shows the language in use.

7H3

very interesting looks like its more similar to a chemical diagram than an alpha bet... circles seem like the could work like connectors while the triangular lined shapes seem like they would be the actual letters
"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend

ethomaz