Florida School Shooting: 17 Reported Dead

Started by the-pi-guy, Feb 15, 2018, 12:08 AM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

A federal official said the gunman had been identified as Nicolas Cruz, 19. The sheriff said the gunman was a former student. He was arrested in Coral Springs, a neighboring city, about an hour after leaving the school.

The gunman was armed with a semiautomatic AR-15 assault rifle, Sheriff Israel said, and "countless magazines."
Florida School Shooting: 17 Reported Dead - The New York Times

the-pi-guy

Breitbart: it's too early to talk about gun control.  

Ugh.

Xevross

This is horrible for everyone affected.

America needs new gun laws ASAP, but I guess those in power already decided they prefer NRA money to poor people and children's lives, sooo....

Legend

Really really sucks.

BananaKing

Breitbart: it's too early to talk about gun control.  

Ugh.
when it is not early to talk about gun control? when america has at least 100 school shootings in america? its fudgy clear as day that some regulation needs to happen and needs to happen quick. literally kids are dying here.

Xevross

when it is not early to talk about gun control? when america has at least 100 school shootings in america? its fudgy clear as day that some regulation needs to happen and needs to happen quick. literally kids are dying here.
The mistake you've made is thinking that they care about kids dying.

They prefer money.

Mmm_fish_tacos

the-pi-guy

Video games, not guns, to blame for school shooting, says Kentucky gov. | ResetEra

In the wake of a shooting that left at least 17 dead on Wednesday in a high school outside Boca Raton, Florida, Kentucky Governor Matt Bevin (R) focused on violent video games as part of a "culture of death that is being celebrated" and leading to these kinds of incidents.Click to expand...
"There are video games that, yes, are listed for mature audiences, but kids play them and everybody knows it, and there's nothing to prevent the child from playing them," Bevin said in an interview on WHAS' Leland Conway show Thursday morning. "They celebrate the slaughtering of people. There are games that literally replicate and give people the ability to score points for doing the very same thing that these students are doing inside of schools, where you get extra points for finishing someone off who's lying there begging for their life." "These are quote-unquote video games, and they're forced down our throats under the guise of protected speech," Conway continued, seemingly referring to a 2011 Supreme Court decision that prevents content-based restrictions on games. "It's garbage. It's the same as horrible stuff. They have desensitized people to the value of human life, to the dignity of women, to the dignity of human decency. We're reaping what we've sown here."Click to expand...
When Conway asked if Bevin was interested in a ban on these types of games or merely more parental oversight of children's access, Bevin asked for media producers to take some responsibility for their works. "I think we need to start by having an honest question about what value any of these things add," he said. "Why do we need a video game, for example, that encourages people to kill people. Whether it's lyrics, whether it's TV shows, whether it's movies, I'm asking the producers of these products, these video games and these movies, ask yourselves what redemptive value, other than shock value, other than the hope you'll make a couple of bucks off it. At what price? At what price?"Click to expand...
More @ https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018...-blame-for-school-shooting-says-kentucky-gov/ In the aftermath of a tragedy clearly Jesus says bad stuff and violent video games are to blame.https://www.york.ac.uk/news-and-eve...no-evidence-to-link-violence-and-video-games/ Matt, stop being an bumb and do your homework. Take a look at guns, not bad stuff and games.  

the-pi-guy

Republicans:  "It's a mental health issue."

.... Okay, but what are you proposing to fix it?

Xevross

Republicans:  "It's a mental health issue."

.... Okay, but what are you proposing to fix it?
Mental health can't be helped, silly!

Mmm_fish_tacos

Trump directs the justice department to ban gun modifications like bump stocks.

It has nothing to do with the recent shooting, but its a start.

the-pi-guy

Mental health can't be helped, silly!
I think if they actually did something about mental health, a good number of these shootings wouldn't happen.  

But instead it's just being used as an excuse to not do anything.  

Unfortunately "gun control" is a scary term for a lot of people.  

I think a lot of Europeans don't really realize how many guns they have in their countries.   And a lot of Americans don't realize it either.  

Mmm_fish_tacos

Am i stupid to think it would be better to put 3 or 4 trained dogs in schools. One that could sniff out gun powder and explosives. And to take down someone holding a gun. It seems better than adding more guns. At least the dogs wont run from the danger or hang out side till its over.

the-pi-guy

Feb 25, 2018, 06:49 PM Last Edit: Feb 25, 2018, 06:51 PM by the-pi-guy
Am i stupid to think it would be better to put 3 or 4 trained dogs in schools. One that could sniff out gun powder and explosives. And to take down someone holding a gun. It seems better than adding more guns. At least the dogs wont run from the danger or hang out side till its over.
Optimistically, it might prevent some incidents, but it wouldn't prevent most of them. 

The florida shooter was literally dropped off at the school 2 minutes before he started firing. 

the-pi-guy

Wikipedia has a bunch of things that I've never heard before now.  

The suspected shooter, Nikolas Cruz, took an Uber ride and was dropped off at the school at 2:19 p.m. EST
He literally got there at the time, the school unlocked their doors.  

He came when he knew the gates would be open and set off a fire alarm that would dismantle a safety system, officials say. And the school resource officer, who is supposed to help protect students, may not have been on school grounds at the time.
Separate article because I thought it was weird he was able to get in.

he activated a fire alarm and began firing at students and teachers.
This part made me start tearing up:
Fifteen-year-old Peter Wang was last seen in his Junior Reserve Officers' Training Corps (JROTC) uniform, holding open doors so others could get out more quickly. He was called a hero, and a White House petition was circulated calling for him to be buried with full military honors
Cruz had behavior issues, and he was transferred between schools six times in three years in order to deal with these problems.

In 2014, he was transferred to a school for children with emotional or learning disabilities, and returned to Stoneman Douglas High School two years later.
He had previously received mental health treatment, but had not received treatment in the year leading up to the shooting
An email from the school administration had circulated among teachers, warning that Cruz had made threats against other students. This led the school to ban him from wearing a backpack on campus
In total, the sheriff's office received 23 calls about Cruz over a decade