What games feel outdated today?

Started by the-pi-guy, Sep 01, 2016, 02:41 AM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Graphically, it is easy to see that games can effectively become outdated.  (3D games especially improve all the time and there is still a lot of space to go.)
Gameplay wise, what games to you feel outdated?  

I'm not really completely sure that games really become outdated.  I still enjoy pretty much every game from my childhood today as then.  But I see it often said that turned based RPG's like FFX are archaic.  Which I disagree with vehemently.  
But what about you?

Mmm_fish_tacos

Legend

Myst

Metroid Prime

Golden Eye

Elite

SWORDF1SH

I bought Syphon Filter through PSN a few years ago and it was unplayable. I'd go as far as saying that any shooting game before a certain date have aged badly, gameplay and graphics wise.
2D platforms tend to age better because even though the graphics might look dated a little on games like Mario and Sonic, they aren't horrid. Plus the gameplay is pretty simple and still replicated today as retro type games seem to be the in thing.

Lordfancypants

I Own a ps4 but do not have a playstation background.  I kept hearing about some great games from the ps2 era etc...(I mostly played PC back then) so I bought manhunt on the ps4.  I bought some others as well like Bully, dark cloud games and maybe more.  
I found the control scheme frustrating as heck on manhunt and haven't tried the others yet.  I hope I fair better on them.
Is this where I talk favorably about myself?

BananaKing

Mass Effect 1
Mass Effect 2
Mass Effect 3 (its amazing how a 2012 game can already feel outdated.)
ICO

SWORDF1SH

I Own a ps4 but do not have a playstation background.  I kept hearing about some great games from the ps2 era etc...(I mostly played PC back then) so I bought manhunt on the ps4.  I bought some others as well like Bully, dark cloud games and maybe more.  
I found the control scheme frustrating as heck on manhunt and haven't tried the others yet.  I hope I fair better on them.
I played Manhunt and Bully back in day, I can't compare to today's standards without playing them now but I think I can remember the control scheme being that great on Manhunt even back then.

Edit: Hi Mr Fancy Pants. Nice to see you here.

Versus

halo ce
Can't agree more, I love CE but I played it again a year ish back... I've not wanted to put a game down more.

Lordfancypants

I played Manhunt and Bully back in day, I can't compare to today's standards without playing them now but I think I can remember the control scheme being that great on Manhunt even back then.

Edit: Hi Mr Fancy Pants. Nice to see you here.
Hey :)
I was looking for a place to talk about games!  You probably know why I jumped ship. :)
On manhunt, ok. I'll give bully a shot. I bought a few others as well. As soon as I finish or take a break from learning fake languages bully it is :p.

Legend

Mass Effect 1
Mass Effect 2
Mass Effect 3 (its amazing how a 2012 game can already feel outdated.)
ICO

Mass Effect felt outdated at launch.

SWORDF1SH

Hey :)
I was looking for a place to talk about games!  You probably know why I jumped ship. :)
On manhunt, ok. I'll give bully a shot. I bought a few others as well. As soon as I finish or take a break from learning fake languages bully it is :p.
I have no idea why you jumped ship!   :-X  lol
Bully was a great game for its time so hopefully it's aged good.
Talking about dated gameplay, I got the resident evil remake. Hopefully they've updated the clunky controls on that and made using the inventory more fluid.

Lordfancypants

I have no idea why you jumped ship!   :-X  lol
Bully was a great game for its time so hopefully it's aged good.
Talking about dated gameplay, I got the resident evil remake. Hopefully they've updated the clunky controls on that and made using the inventory more fluid.
I just beat the re remake. It felt good to me. Much better than manhunt ::)

Legend

As soon as I finish or take a break from learning fake languages
Fake languages?

Are you a conlanger?

SWORDF1SH

Fake languages?

Are you a conlanger?
How dare you accuse him of that! There's a saying for people that make false accusations,
Feedesy hiook danjop io ploook tanis ae montasip!

the-pi-guy

How dare you accuse him of that! There's a saying for people that make false accusations,
Feedesy hiook danjop io ploook tanis ae montasip!
Lol.  Legend is a conlanger.  :)