Microsoft to lay off 'thousands' of employees

Started by the-pi-guy, Jul 06, 2017, 07:29 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Microsoft to lay off 'thousands' of employees - NeoGAF

Link.
Three days after announcing internally its latest reorg, Microsoft has announced the resulting layoffs that have been rumored for the past week.
 On July 6, officials said the company would be cutting "thousands" of employees. CNBC said Microsoft would be shedding up to 3,000 employees, but didn't cite the source of that number.
 Microsoft officials declined to specify which groups will take the brunt, but given the July 3 reorg was all about Microsoft's sales organization, it's a safe bet most are coming from field sales, marketing, and other related teams.
 At the end of March 2017, Microsoft employed 121,567 worldwide. A year ago, approximately 50,000 of Microsoft's employees were engaged in sales, marketing, and services jobs.
 Today's announcement is not the biggest layoff Microsoft has had. In 2014, company officials announced the company would be eliminating 18,000 jobs over the course of a year, with 12,500 of those associated with the Nokia Devices and Services acquisition. Those cuts began with a first wave of 13,000, the majority of whom Microsoft notified over a six-month period.
 Last year, Microsoft announced additional job cuts of 2,850, including at least 900 from its sales organization. That was on top of other hefty headcount reductions from its smartphone business.
 Microsoft often announces reorgs and layoffs around the start of the company's new fiscal year, July 1. This year's reorg was all about revamping the company's commercial and consumer sales organizations in the name of digital transformation.
 In January this year, Microsoft announced a number of organization changes that affected its sales and marketing organizations. As part of those moves, a number of those sales and marketing teams were moved under Judston Althoff, a Microsoft executive vice president in charge of the company's Worldwide Commercial Business Group.

Lock if old.

Legend

darkknightkryta

Microsoft has roughly 114,000 employees.  They can give each one of those employees another 100k a year and still profit about 5 billion dollars... This disgusts me.

Aura7541

I'm curious what divisions these 3000 employees used to belong to.

darkknightkryta

I'm curious what divisions these 3000 employees used to belong to.
The game division  ::)

Mmm_fish_tacos

Microsoft has roughly 114,000 employees.  They can give each one of those employees another 100k a year and still profit about 5 billion dollars... This disgusts me.
Welcome to corprate america where theyll fire 1000 people just to please a few shareholders.

darkknightkryta

Welcome to corprate america where theyll fire 1000 people just to please a few shareholders.
Sad thing is, that's after they've paid their shareholders.

Aura7541

The game division  ::)
I mean, Microsoft already laid off 7800 employees from their phone division, so I highly doubt the 3000 employees are coming from there.