Loading is instantaneous in VizionEck, plus universal menus

Started by Legend, Oct 20, 2014, 05:44 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Hey all,

VizionEck for the most part is a non graphically intensive game. This gives us a ton of extra power to implement features that just aren't possible in standard games.

One of those features is no loading times. For example when selecting a campaign save file from the menu, that campaign is started up and ready to play in just one frame, or about 16ms. Then while in campaign the player could for example switch to a multiplayer level again in just one frame.

This instantaneous loading is tied together with a universal menu.

At any time the user may bring up the menu in its entirety. While within campaign the player can browse leaderboards or even start matchmaking without exiting to a main menu. While waiting to respawn in a mp match the player can check community progress or switch game skins.

Anything can be done at anytime.

NeverDies

Welp, guess you're not gonna follow the footsteps of Destiny and Mass Effect, "Where Load Times are Fun Times!"

<br />
<br />
<br />
<br /><br />
<br />
<br /><br />
<br />
<br />
<br />

Dr. Pezus

Welp, guess you're not gonna follow the footsteps of Destiny and Mass Effect, "Where Load Times are Fun Times!"

I loved the load times in ME!

the-pi-guy

Oct 20, 2014, 11:12 PM Last Edit: Feb 10, 2015, 05:52 AM by the-pi-guy
Remember when we used to have load times?
Those were the best!

NeverDies

The Elevator of slowness FUNNESS!
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br /><br />
<br />
<br /><br />
<br />
<br />
<br />

Dr. Pezus

Well it wasn't that slow on PC!

Legend

Remember when we used to have load times?
Those were the best!

Hehehe maybe I'll make load time dlc.

Dr. Pezus

What about customizable loading screens? One is an elevator, another is a space ship flying through space, another is a black screen with "loading" in the bottom right corner etc. Sometimes you just get tired of seeing the same loading screen again and again!

Legend

What about customizable loading screens? One is an elevator, another is a space ship flying through space, another is a black screen with "loading" in the bottom right corner etc. Sometimes you just get tired of seeing the same loading screen again and again!

Haha yeah if I got time I could do that. Mocking game trops is pretty fun.

NeverDies

You could have a little rotating cube in the corner, but then the player would touch the controls and realize they've been staring up close at a black wall with a little cube on it.
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br /><br />
<br />
<br /><br />
<br />
<br />
<br />

Slayer

ethomaz

Cool.

And Universal Menus are the best choice.

I love how you can access the menus in load times in Destiny... I always do the changes in load times.

But no load time is the best of the best.

NeverDies

But I'll have to pause the game when I decide to make some tea! Curse you zero load times! Give me back my minute of boredom!
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br /><br />
<br />
<br /><br />
<br />
<br />
<br />

Legend

NeverDies

<br />