John Kodera: "PS4 is entering the final stage of its life-cycle"

Started by the-pi-guy, May 22, 2018, 09:38 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

John Kodera: "PS4 is entering the final stage of its life-cycle" | ResetEra

https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/998777178278903810 For context, John Kodera is President of SIE. And today is Sony IR Day 2018, which is where they share their short-and-mid-term plans of the whole company to investors.  

Legend

PS5 2020

SWORDF1SH

the-pi-guy

SWORDF1SH

VizionEck.gif

I'm feeling 2020.  
2013 PS4. 2016 mid-gen PS4. 2019 PS5.

Dr. Pezus

Xevross

I'd be very upset if it was 2019. Also it just doesn't seem to make sense from a business perspective either, PS4 is still doing crazy well and has lots of time to drop in price too.

SWORDF1SH

No
Yes
I'd be very upset if it was 2019. Also it just doesn't seem to make sense from a business perspective either, PS4 is still doing crazy well and has lots of time to drop in price too.
PS4 will not stop selling with the release of PS5.
From a business pov why would they wait for the competition to get the jump on them. Strike while the iron is hot and roll with the momentum going into next gen.
Sony predict sales to dip this year and probably dip again next next. With the momentum starting to wain now, why wait for momentum to slow before releasing a new console.

Xevross

Yes PS4 will not stop selling with the release of PS5.
From a business pov why would they wait for the competition to get the jump on them. Strike while the iron is hot and roll with the momentum going into next gen.
Sony predict sales to dip this year and probably dip again next next. With the momentum starting to wain now, why wait for momentum to slow before releasing a new console.
Not falling behind the competition is the only reason I can see. And my point was that the price of PS4 is still high enough that they can use price drops to keep the momentum going until 2020. If they did it right it wouldn't slow down much at all.

Also the competition isn't really that much. We know Nintendo are in a different cycle, so its only Microsoft to worry about. And I think letting them have a year head-start wouldn't be so bad, since they have no exclusive appeal anymore. And who's to say MS are even wanting to make a next gen console, or will release one next year? I just think the best move overall for Sony would be 2020.

SWORDF1SH

Not falling behind the competition is the only reason I can see. And my point was that the price of PS4 is still high enough that they can use price drops to keep the momentum going until 2020. If they did it right it wouldn't slow down much at all.

Also the competition isn't really that much. We know Nintendo are in a different cycle, so its only Microsoft to worry about. And I think letting them have a year head-start wouldn't be so bad, since they have no exclusive appeal anymore. And who's to say MS are even wanting to make a next gen console, or will release one next year? I just think the best move overall for Sony would be 2020.
Definitely valid points. But we shouldn't rule out 2019. It's not actually a bad strategy to have a 199 PS4 and a 399 PS5 on the market at the same time.

Xevross

Definitely valid points. But we shouldn't rule out 2019. It's not actually a bad strategy to have a 199 PS4 and a 399 PS5 on the market at the same time.
Oh yeah I can definitely see them going for 2019, and I get your points and others as to why they may do it. I'm just hoping they don't, because I don't want to buy another console so soon! Also I think 2020 does make a bit more sense. I just hope Xbox don't launch a console next year, because then that makes Sony more likely to wait.

Another thing is if Xbox do launch in 2019, that's only 2 years after the X and that might really upset some of their fans. It'd be dangerous for them.

SWORDF1SH

Oh yeah I can definitely see them going for 2019, and I get your points and others as to why they may do it. I'm just hoping they don't, because I don't want to buy another console so soon! Also I think 2020 does make a bit more sense. I just hope Xbox don't launch a console next year, because then that makes Sony more likely to wait.

Another thing is if Xbox do launch in 2019, that's only 2 years after the X and that might really upset some of their fans. It'd be dangerous for them.
It's hard to judge because Sony have in the past released a new console every 6 or 7 years so 2019/20 is the range. PS1 - 6 years - PS2 - 6 years - PS3 - 7 years - PS4        
PSP - 7 years - PSV

Legend

Kinda rules out 2019

Kodera: Sony "considers various options around Vita," suggests last phase of PS4 = 3 yrs | ResetEra

Unless I'm reading this wrong it suggests 2021 to me. If someone has a link to the full interview please post and I'll add it to the OP Edit: link to article (in Japanese, obviously)https://www.bloomberg.co.jp/news/articles/2018-05-23/P95T6M6K50XU01 Shoshi said:  
The Japanese Article:https://www.bloomberg.co.jp/news/articles/2018-05-23/P95T6M6K50XU01 My thoughts: Kodera is clearly a Japanese man that wants to revitalize Playstation in Japan - the land of the handheld. EDIT: Sounds like a dockable PS Vita Next to me. In the end of the article: "Kodera says regarding PS4": "Rather than cutting a line between handheld and console - in order to present a better gaming experience through one way/device (手段= could be translated as "device" I think), we need to think directly about what kind of steps can be made regarding delivering a handheld experience"Click to expand...

ethomaz

I need that PS5 in my vein.

PS4 is already too outdated... to be fair it was at launch due the lithograph process delays... let't hope 7nm give something better than mobile power in a console again.

BananaKing

2020 sounds like the perfect time to release a PS5. Just looking at their software and when it's coming out no way are they releasing it in 2019.