NPD November 2017 Results: PS4 ~1.7m, XB1 ~1.4m, SW ~800k

Started by ethomaz, Dec 08, 2017, 01:05 PM

previous topic - next topic

ethomaz

Under construction (I will just fix tonight).

ethomaz

Game hardware (including SNES Classic, etc.) sales volume in the US was up 44% in November (cumulative Apr-Nov FY3/18 sales were up 38%), while software sales were up 2% (down 1%). The PS4 came out top for hardware
sales, with a likely large impact from Black Friday sales. The Xbox One, which launched the new high-spec X console, came in second. Both consoles saw roughly 40% growth YoY.

The Switch saw a large increase in sales volume in comparison to October, but we still sense that trends are slowing down. We do not explicitly forecast monthly sales volumes in each region, but we have the impression that US sales volume for the Switch in November was within expectations. Nintendo's hardware sales tend to see strong trends in December thanks to seasonal demand, and thus we believe that sales will grow MoM in December.

As for software, Call of Duty: WWII (Activision Blizzard) came out top in the US (PS4 came top on a SKU basis; xbox One second), while Super Mario Odyssey came in second (Switch exclusive, Nintendo)

Mmm_fish_tacos

ethomaz

Kerotan

Microsoft are iced. Xb1 @189 plus months of xbox pre orders and launch sales and the ps4 still beats it. Ps4 is going to stomp all over it next year with its superior line up.

Swifch sales were meh considering the hype. They may have had stock shortages pre November but this shows they weren't far off meeting the demand.

Sony ps4 stomps the switch in November and beats the xb1 during the X launch month. WW it must have been a bloodbath.

The thing Sony will be delighted about is how fast the $199 ps4 sold out. They know there is still huge demand for the console at that price which will give them huge confidence going into 2018 with

Legend

Microsoft are iced. Xb1 @189 plus months of xbox pre orders and launch sales and the ps4 still beats it. Ps4 is going to stomp all over it next year with its superior line up.

Swifch sales were meh considering the hype. They may have had stock shortages pre November but this shows they weren't far off meeting the demand.

Sony ps4 stomps the switch in November and beats the xb1 during the X launch month. WW it must have been a bloodbath.

The thing Sony will be delighted about is how fast the $199 ps4 sold out. They know there is still huge demand for the console at that price which will give them huge confidence going into 2018 with
Oh yeah I forgot that this included Xbox One X launch. That does help explain why Switch isn't even close.

So xbox had a good month but it's not as good as many people predicted. I mean almost everyone predicted it'd beat ps4 this npd. Overall I think it's bad because most predict Xbox One X to be front loaded. If it can't beat PS4 on launch month, then xbox one will probably never beat ps4 again in npd.

Yeah if switch wasn't sold out, this isn't the best number. Could be the start of a decline or could just be a slow month. It's the first time it has lost npd without stock being an excuse.

Mmm_fish_tacos

Switch wasnt sold out.

Imagin if ps4 had more stock? Couldnt find a 199 unit anywhere on blackfriday.

Xevross

So what are we looking at for the x? 100k?
I'd be extremely shocked if its less than 300k, considering it did 80k in one week in the UK.

OP: these numbers aren't very accurate at all. They could be 100k+ off each. But I guess they're in the ballpark. Great month for the top two, and switch did well considering the lack of discounts.

darkknightkryta

Stock/demand is starting to reach a balance for the Switch.  I can walk into Best Buy right now and buy one.  Even after Black Friday I could still buy one.  It'll probably maintain itself until Smash Bros releases.

Legend

Stock/demand is starting to reach a balance for the Switch.  I can walk into Best Buy right now and buy one.  Even after Black Friday I could still buy one.  It'll probably maintain itself until Smash Bros releases.
That hasn't even been announced yet.

Kerotan

Switch is nowhere near either but I wouldn't say it's bad. Switch will probably sell out in December and do bigger numbers this month anyway.

The real test is next year when it's line up is crud for many months.

Ps4 probably could have sold 2m if it had enough 1tb ps4 stock.

Xbox had stock through cyber Monday and it had a super hyped launch. I don't see xbox doing much for the first 10 months of next year especially with ps4 having God of war and rdr2 in the first half.

darkknightkryta

That hasn't even been announced yet.
Does it have to?  Nintendo releases new hardware so they can resell you old games under the disguise of new games.  There's going to be a new Mario, new Mario Kart, new Zelda, maybe a new Metroid (Announced), new Smash Bros., new Pokemon (or spinoff) then they're going to announce new hardware 4 years later and release it at 5 and go through the cycle again.

SWORDF1SH

We should wait for more concrete numbers but they sound like they are close with Switch being a little higher

ethomaz

Cute Pikachu

Zhuge also hinted towards he Switch being higher than that and being around 900k. Switch isn't doomed, analysts believe it is going to have a substantial month over month increase in December. Also retail numbers put COD in the 3-4 Million range and Battlefront 2 in te 850k range. Mario has been confirmed to be 2nd this month so it did >850k it's second month.
The Vizioneck Nintendo Fanboy!

Switch Software Sales Guide:
http://vizioneck.com/forum/index.php?topic=5895.msg218699#new

Go Up