Sea of Thieves already has hackers, offering a compelling case against cross-play

Started by Legend, Mar 28, 2018, 11:08 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Sea of Thieves already has hackers, offering a compelling case against cross-play | ResetEra

According to an article from Jez Corden on Windows Central, Sea of Thieves is already hacked on PC. Cheaters are using aimbots and other cheats to give themselves advantages in the game:This program allows a cheating player to exploit Sea of Thieves' UWP client to auto-aim for player's heads, see chests, and other objects through walls, and perform other game-breaking feats of Godmodehood.(​IMG) Because Sea of Thieves is cross-play, this means that Xbox gamers will have to deal with cheaters as well from now on:Generally, Xbox players have been immune to hackers due to the closed-nature of console gaming, but as console players are now discovering, thanks to cross-play with PC, hackers are beginning to appear on Xbox One.Naturally, all hacking players will eventually get banned from Xbox Live, losing all of their licenses and potentially access to their Microsoft Account in the process. But that isn't much comfort to those who have had their fun spoiled, particularly when one of the selling points of console play, at least for me, is a pure, hacker-free experience. Another interesting point is that UWP and file encryption of UWP games are preventing mods and community content, but don't protect against piracy and cheating at all.One of the "selling points" of Universal Windows Platform (UWP) PC games is that it is supposedly more secure than regular Win32 executables. UWP apps and games run inside a container which mimics a Windows environment, and can be cleanly uninstalled without any leftover registry keys and that sort of thing. UWP games are also supposed to verify file integrity over the internet, preventing unwanted modification of programs. It turns out that, in reality, like most things, UWP isn't completely secure either. Shoot me out of a cannon if old.  
Cause I'm just a cross play hater  :P

the-pi-guy

Xevross

Yeah this is one big argument against cross play. Although I've never seen hackers in rocket league

the-pi-guy

Yeah this is one big argument against cross play. Although I've never seen hackers in rocket league
But really, it's just a big argument against PC cross play.  

PS4/XBO remains good!  

Legend

But really, it's just a big argument against PC cross play.  

PS4/XBO remains good!  
Yeah PS4 XBO cross play wouldn't have any of the downsides.

the-pi-guy

I'm pretty sure I said before, I feel like Cross play mattered more last gen when the consoles had pretty similar sized install bases.  Now the PS4 dominates, most people I know have PS4.  

BananaKing

I don't understand these hackers, what's the fun here?

Legend

I don't understand these hackers, what's the fun here?
Can be fun for like an hour just owning people. Also kids are dumb.

Kerotan

I switched off pc cross play on every game that has it. Most pointless feature ever for me.

Tachikoma

They must have got bored of the limitless possibilities(tm)

Xevross

I'm pretty sure I said before, I feel like Cross play mattered more last gen when the consoles had pretty similar sized install bases.  Now the PS4 dominates, most people I know have PS4.  
Yeah last gen I had a few friends on PS3 and a few on X360, it would have been great to have it then. Now everyone I know who plays console has a PS4.