What are your thoughts on VizionEck's graphics?

Started by Legend, May 01, 2016, 02:41 AM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Maybe play as block people instead of blocks?
I refuse.

Legend

Maybe play as block people instead of blocks?
The politically correct term is cubanoids.

kitler53

looks nicer imo.

did you get what i was saying about death explosions?

@0:30.  @2:47.

i showed the trailer to a friend a while back and i think the exact quote i got when the death explosion happened was "what the fudge is this shame".

The politically correct term is cubanoids.
they're cuban?

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

looks nicer imo.

did you get what i was saying about death explosions?

i showed the trailer to a friend a while back and i think the exact quote i got when the death explosion happened was "what the fudge is this shame".
they're cuban?
A lot of that yuckiness came from video compression. I mean they looked bad in real life too, but not that bad.

Those explosion effects were stupid and temporary though. The real ones at the time should have looked like the light flashes from the first teaser.

Not sure how they'll be in the final game. Depends a lot on what feels good too. If visually it looks great but during gameplay the attack feels "soft" then that's bad.

MrsApplepie

May 02, 2016, 05:45 PM Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 06:01 PM by the-pi-guy
VizionEck's graphics are very unique to other sites and the uniqueness is what I think draws a lot of people in. The graphics are basic but work for the module because of the nature of this site as a forum. For the game though, it is less attractive because it may be a little too basic and not incorporate enough mainstream and 3D emphasis. However, for this site I think it works and looks professional.

Legend

I think I've narrowed down a look. Here's the current and new art styles back to back in color/white environments.

Still needs a little more work on the outlines themselves to make them look more physical, but I really like the general feel.

*These are pre rendered concept art images, not screenshots.

darkknightkryta

I think I've narrowed down a look. Here's the current and new art styles back to back in color/white environments.

Still needs a little more work on the outlines themselves to make them look more physical, but I really like the general feel.

*These are pre rendered concept art images, not screenshots.
The reflections are a lot better.  I still say you should play as cubanoids, but with the ability to morph into a cube for hiding.  Kinda like the box mechanic in MGS 4: Online.

kitler53

visually looks way better.

Question,..  do you snap into that grid you are now displaying?  if the gameplay hinges on you to hiding in plain site as a block than sitting off in a position not exactly snapped into the grid will make it very obvious you are a player not a part of the level design.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

darkknightkryta

Now that I think about it some more, if you play as a cubanoid and can morph, you can add the morph ball mechanic from Metroid and cube through holes in the wall.

Legend

The reflections are a lot better.  I still say you should play as cubanoids, but with the ability to morph into a cube for hiding.  Kinda like the box mechanic in MGS 4: Online.
I think the cubes do need something, but gameplay wise they need to stay this shape. Lore wise they're AI controlled robots so maybe I can work from that angle.

Maybe have the cubes take physical damage instead of just their brightness decreasing.

visually looks way better.

Question,..  do you snap into that grid you are now displaying?  if the gameplay hinges on you to hiding in plain site as a block than sitting off in a position not exactly snapped into the grid will make it very obvious you are a player not a part of the level design.
Hiding in plain site is only at specefic locations where you replace the level geometry. In these places you snap to position.

If you're just sitting motionless on the floor it's very obvious.

The other graphics dependent mechanic is ghosting. Brightness decreases with health, so near death players are very hard to see against the black walls.

However I've been having issues with this one for ages. It depends too much on TV brightness and other mechanics don't mesh with it. These new graphics would make ghosting impossible but I'm on the verge of cutting it anyway.

Mmm_fish_tacos

Can I see the new style of white an black, but reversed.

Legend

Can I see the new style of white an black, but reversed.
Does not look good in the slightest. Without redesigning it, this is the best I could produce.

Mmm_fish_tacos

Does not look good in the slightest. Without redesigning it, this is the best I could produce.

Yeah, that's not what I had in my head.

the-pi-guy

Feel like it is missing something.  Just something that could make it really cool looking.

the-pi-guy

Go Up