Oculus Rift The Thread

Started by the-pi-guy, Mar 22, 2016, 11:06 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

I don't care what you meant.  :P

My idea is basically during set up the camera will scan your face before you put on the headset.  During operation it will analyze your face and figure out what facial expressions you are making.  (not sure how accurate it could be).  Eyes are the really tricky part, probably just make some assumptions.

Bam, then we can have VR webcamming.  
Once VR gets eye tracking, that could be really easy.

the-pi-guy

Oculus launch gets stranger as hardware hits Best Buy and others before pre-orders fulfilled | Polygon

"We know that many pre-order customers are still waiting for their Rifts, so we're offering those customers a chance to purchase Rift from retail instead -- while keeping their pre-order benefits, like the EVE: Valkyrie Founder's Pack and priority status for Touch pre-orders," the company explains. "If you're interested, simply go to your order status and let us know you've purchased a Rift at retail, and we'll cancel your pre-order. Your EVE: Valkyrie entitlement will appear in your order history."

Legend

That's odd, but hey maybe I should go to best buy :)

the-pi-guy

That's odd, but hey maybe I should go to best buy :)
It seems they had retail deals in place, so they probably were expecting preorders to be fulfilled in March/early April.

the-pi-guy

May 09, 2016, 04:13 PM Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 04:17 PM by the-pi-guy
Want to improve perceived quality? Enable oversampling (super resolution)! : oculus

All the Rift shipping has been awful.  
-Their Rifts are ordered out for 3 months.
-Amazon was sold out in milliseconds (at least that's what I'm claiming)

Please try to up production someone!  2x!  

the-pi-guy

I don't really feel like the novelty is wearing off.  
Even after several hours of use.  

After not using it, I still keep thinking "Oh my gosh is this still as cool as it was the first time?  YES IT IS!"

Oculus Dream deck is really amazing, and really shows off the types of experiences one can have.  
I love the one with the tiny city in front of you.  Just super awesome.  

the-pi-guy

-Gets hot
-Needs higher resolution

+Amazing
+Presence
+Amazing
+Great resolution (resolution feels odd.  For games, the whole screen pretty much always looks fantastic, or at least good enough with some more complex.  But then text seems to be troubling to read at times. Overall it's good enough.)

I have to gush some more about it.  

It's just flipping awesome.  I need more games for it.  
It works super well for all kinds of experiences.  Oculus Dream deck just has 10 short 30 second experiences, but they are probably my favorite experiences I've had with it.  They show amazing variety with what you can do with it.  They look awesome.  They have full standing up demos.  You can stand up, walk around a little bit.  These are really fun, and have amazing 3D effects.  
Spoiler for Hidden:
<br>Some of these can be a little uncomfortable. &nbsp;Like looking at a dinosaur is unnerving. &nbsp;Standing on the top of a skyscraper is unnerving. &nbsp;Looking over the edge of it is a weird combination of holy crud this is awesome, and scary at the same time. &nbsp;It&#39;s awesome to have this feeling of you can walk over to the wall and touch it. &nbsp;It feels that good. &nbsp;<br>

There are other experiences, that feel a little different.  More like you are sitting at a holographic table, and above this table are these projections.  Lucky's Tale feels like this.  You can lean in on the table and get up close and personal.  I guess in a way these experiences feel like they have slightly less presence, but at the same time they don't.  It feels like a card game, you kind of are part of the world, but at the same time it doesn't feel like something you are a part of.  
Spoiler for Hidden:
<br>One of the my favorite experiences is the city one. &nbsp;Has that same table feel. &nbsp;Like a tiny city sitting on this table. &nbsp;It&#39;s amazing to be able to lean in on the city.<br>

It's flipping amazing.  It's flipping amazing how convincing it is.  So you're sitting in a room that's 10x the size of your room in front of a gigantic TV.  It's freakish how convinced the brain is that this room is huge.  It's crazy how convinced the brain is, that I'm watching this on some gigantic TV across the room.  

It's awesome to be standing in front of a virtual fire place and being able to lean under the mantle to look inside it.  
It's just amazing.  :o

the-pi-guy

How many weeks does it take to get sent a game code?  

Mmm_fish_tacos

How many weeks does it take to get sent a game code?  
Id call about it.

the-pi-guy

Id call about it.
I put in a ticket yesterday, got a "we're looking into it" response this morning.  

the-pi-guy

I put in a ticket yesterday, got a "we're looking into it" response this morning.  
Got another email to say we are still looking into it the matter and thanks for being patient.  

Kind of lame.  :P nice they sent another email; but seems weird that they are having these kinds of issues.  Close to waiting two weeks for the game code.  

the-pi-guy

Finally got my code as of 5 min ago.  Only took 2 weeks to send me the code.  Not bad.....

the-pi-guy

I wonder how close we are to the end of Oculus back ordering.  
Best Buy has had Rifts in stock several times today.  

Mmm_fish_tacos

I wonder how close we are to the end of Oculus back ordering.  
Best Buy has had Rifts in stock several times today.  

They sais they would catch up in july.

How bad is your god rays?

the-pi-guy

They sais they would catch up in july.

How bad is your god rays?
They aren't too bad.  

Go Up