Will VR take over everything?

Started by Legend, Oct 13, 2018, 04:47 AM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

I think the general market isn't really that interested in it, and its a hard sell without having people actually try it.
I think it's really hard to say for sure, what will happen.  
Facebook is really dedicated, despite not meeting expectations.  Even just a few weeks ago, they said they still plan on getting 1 billion VR users.  

I'm not sure about Sony's dedication, but I've heard positive rumors.  It'd make sense for them though.  If PSVR is profitable, and their games are also small and profitable, it'd make sense for them to continue the current level of investment.  

It's something that I worry about short term.  
Long term, less so.  It might be something that ends up happening, just way slower than anyone predicted.  

Legend

Maybe, I guess its tough to know at this point.

I don't think portables will exist for much longer, mobile is become better and better for gaming and then you have solutions like Switch as well. I don't know if VR will take over TVs though, if it doesn't get enough support it could just die off again. I think the general market isn't really that interested in it, and its a hard sell without having people actually try it.
VR currently is very gamey. It's a theme park attraction essentially.

To move past that point, I think the quality of the experience needs to be improved. The headsets need to get to the point that someone without experience can toss one on and have it adjusted properly, and then play for hours in a stationary environment without getting sick or having the experience degrade.

I don't know if manufacturers share my priorities, but the tech to have a "perfect" casual experience like that is available today. We just need it to come to market.

the-pi-guy

It's amazing how fast VR is going to change, the next few years.  
It's already changing really fast, but VR in 4 years is going to be a massive jump from now.

I have no doubt it'llbe the kind of jump that we see in 2 console gens.  

On resolution, especially, Newell expects that, by 2018 or 2019, VR headsets will provide "higher [resolution] than just about anything else, with much higher refresh rates than you're going to see on either desktops or phones. You'll see the VR industry leapfrogging any other display technology."
Valve's Gabe Newell: VR could "turn out to be a complete failure" | Ars Technica

the-pi-guy

When I was just getting into VR, I remember Legend and I and a few others were discussing VR and AR on VGC I think.  

And I remember Legend making a comment along the lines of one of the two is currently stronger than the other, because the one has the ability to emulate the other.  

I said VR was able to emulate AR, with camera pass through. But then I started to wonder if Legend meant AR, as in AR was basically VR with a camera.  

The discussion about the two reminded me of that.  Was a bit relieved that my understanding of the two at the time wasn't wrong.  

Legend

When I was just getting into VR, I remember Legend and I and a few others were discussing VR and AR on VGC I think.  

And I remember Legend making a comment along the lines of one of the two is currently stronger than the other, because the one has the ability to emulate the other.  

I said VR was able to emulate AR, with camera pass through. But then I started to wonder if Legend meant AR, as in AR was basically VR with a camera.  

The discussion about the two reminded me of that.  Was a bit relieved that my understanding of the two at the time wasn't wrong.  
I don't think I've ever prefered AR over VR but I could have meant either thing with my comment. I did not care that much when oculus was first coming out. I think I only started becoming seriously interested once Crystal Cove was shown off.

Go Up