The Rise of Netflix Competitors Has Pushed Consumers Back Toward Piracy

Started by the-pi-guy, Oct 03, 2018, 01:15 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

The Rise of Netflix Competitors Has Pushed Consumers Back Toward Piracy | ResetEra

I know the policy about piracy here, but I thought it was an interesting article :

BitTorrent usage has bounced back because there's too many streaming services, and too much exclusive content.

Sandvine's new Global Internet Phenomena report offers some interesting insight into user video habits and the internet, such as the fact that more than 50 percent of internet traffic is now encrypted, video now accounts for 58 percent of all global traffic, and Netflix alone now comprises 15 percent of all internet downstream data consumed.

But there's another interesting tidbit buried in the firm's report: after years of steady decline, BitTorrent usage is once again growing.

According to Sandvine, file-sharing accounts for 3 percent of global downstream and 22 percent of upstream traffic, with 97% of that traffic in turn being BitTorrent. While BitTorrent is often used to distribute ordinary files, it remains the choice du jour for those looking to distribute and trade copyrighted content online, made easier via media PCs running Kodi and select plugins.

Keep in mind that BitTorrent usage numbers are likely higher than Sandvine estimates, given the high number of users that hide their BitTorrent traffic behind proxies and VPNs to not only dodge the prying-eyes of their ISPs, but avoid copyright trolls and industry lawsuits.Click to expand...
More here : https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/d3q45v/bittorrent-usage-increases-netflix-streaming-sites
[/size]
 This quote from Gabe Newell seems even more relevant :

"In general, we think there is a fundamental misconception about piracy. Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem."

I feel like every one is trying to get their piece of the pie...

[/size]

darkknightkryta

Pretty much what was going to happen

Dr. Pezus

Agreed
It's getting ridiculous

kitler53

i see no connection between the evidence observed and the explanation offered other than the authors desire to have their explanation be true.

your reseller is even more problematic by selling this quote: "In general, we think there is a fundamental misconception about piracy. Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem."

..from the same article that states:
1. "To get access to all of these services, it gets very expensive for a consumer, so they subscribe to one or two and pirate the rest." Cullen said.
2. The problem: consumers only have so much disposable income, and the growing laundry-list of services users now need to subscribe to if they want to watch all of their favorite movies and shows can not only become confusing, but prohibitively expensive.
3. The problem: consumers only have so much disposable income, and the growing laundry-list of services users now need to subscribe to if they want to watch all of their favorite movies and shows can not only become confusing, but prohibitively expensive.

thread title should be: "biased source offers bad science to validate strongly held belief"

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Dr. Pezus

i see no connection between the evidence observed and the explanation offered other than the authors desire to have their explanation be true.

your reseller is even more problematic by selling this quote: "In general, we think there is a fundamental misconception about piracy. Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem."

..from the same article that states:
1. "To get access to all of these services, it gets very expensive for a consumer, so they subscribe to one or two and pirate the rest." Cullen said.
2. The problem: consumers only have so much disposable income, and the growing laundry-list of services users now need to subscribe to if they want to watch all of their favorite movies and shows can not only become confusing, but prohibitively expensive.
3. The problem: consumers only have so much disposable income, and the growing laundry-list of services users now need to subscribe to if they want to watch all of their favorite movies and shows can not only become confusing, but prohibitively expensive.

thread title should be: "biased source offers bad science to validate strongly held belief"

In this case pricing is a service problem.

darkknightkryta

Pricing isn't the issue. If Netflix charged let's say 2 bucks per publisher (WB Disney, etc) I doubt piracy would go up.  Problem is that you have to sign up to multiple publishers and having to login to multiple services to get a service (Which is now multiple services)

kitler53

Pricing isn't the issue. If Netflix charged let's say 2 bucks per publisher (WB Disney, etc) I doubt piracy would go up.  Problem is that you have to sign up to multiple publishers and having to login to multiple services to get a service (Which is now multiple services)
on what ghetto dog device are you watching your streaming services.  ps4, xbox, vita, roku, fireTV,...  will all remember your user name and password for all of the major services.  it is a once and done senario.  payments are all re-occuring and again is once and done.   these are not real problems they are excuses.

the real problem is you somehow think having access to "disney" is a $2 add-on.  in what alternate reality do you think that is a realistic number.  even if netflix offered a content add-on service it would be:
 HBO - $10
 Showtime - $10
 Disney - $10
 Local Channels - $10
 the NFL network - $10

..it becomes prohibitively expensive to subscribe to all content really quick.   but complaining about that is like saying buying 1 of every product at the grocery store is prohibitively expensive so i guess i'll steal from the grocery store.  

you are never going to get a service that cost $10 and gives you access to every piece of tv/film content ever produced.   that's right up there with the stupidity that gets posted in every psblog post about the ps+ games of the month.  people were actually upset and complaining that we only got destiny 2 (base) and the god of war III remaster in september when what they thought they deserved was destiny 2 with all the expansions + god of war (the new one).  you're not going to get that kind of service for your $5 a month subscription.  

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

on what ghetto dog device are you watching your streaming services.  ps4, xbox, vita, roku, fireTV,...  will all remember your user name and password for all of the major services.  it is a once and done senario.  payments are all re-occuring and again is once and done.   these are not real problems they are excuses.

the real problem is you somehow think having access to "disney" is a $2 add-on.  in what alternate reality do you think that is a realistic number.  even if netflix offered a content add-on service it would be:
 HBO - $10
 Showtime - $10
 Disney - $10
 Local Channels - $10
 the NFL network - $10

..it becomes prohibitively expensive to subscribe to all content really quick.   but complaining about that is like saying buying 1 of every product at the grocery store is prohibitively expensive so i guess i'll steal from the grocery store.  

you are never going to get a service that cost $10 and gives you access to every piece of tv/film content ever produced.   that's right up there with the stupidity that gets posted in every psblog post about the ps+ games of the month.  people were actually upset and complaining that we only got destiny 2 (base) and the god of war III remaster in september when what they thought they deserved was destiny 2 with all the expansions + god of war (the new one).  you're not going to get that kind of service for your $5 a month subscription.  

It's a really weird industry. Piracy is so easy and so popular nowadays that streaming companies have to basically provide the impossible. It worked for a while when Netflix was new but that'll never be able to happen again. I think the title of the article is correct even though the article itself makes some weird leaps.

Also fudge, you just made me realise I missed September's PS+ games...

darkknightkryta

on what ghetto dog device are you watching your streaming services.  ps4, xbox, vita, roku, fireTV,...  will all remember your user name and password for all of the major services.  it is a once and done senario.  payments are all re-occuring and again is once and done.   these are not real problems they are excuses.

the real problem is you somehow think having access to "disney" is a $2 add-on.  in what alternate reality do you think that is a realistic number.  even if netflix offered a content add-on service it would be:
 HBO - $10
 Showtime - $10
 Disney - $10
 Local Channels - $10
 the NFL network - $10

..it becomes prohibitively expensive to subscribe to all content really quick.   but complaining about that is like saying buying 1 of every product at the grocery store is prohibitively expensive so i guess i'll steal from the grocery store.  

you are never going to get a service that cost $10 and gives you access to every piece of tv/film content ever produced.   that's right up there with the stupidity that gets posted in every psblog post about the ps+ games of the month.  people were actually upset and complaining that we only got destiny 2 (base) and the god of war III remaster in september when what they thought they deserved was destiny 2 with all the expansions + god of war (the new one).  you're not going to get that kind of service for your $5 a month subscription.  

I use my PCs.  Most people use their phones I guess, but you still have to open separate apps.  If you use your TV's built in streaming services, you still have to open up separate apps.  That becomes a service issue when you have to open and close programs.  Yes, opening and closing different apps is an issue as it becomes a hassle (Especially in this day of instant everything).  2 dollars increase per publisher makes sense cause that's what a T.V. channel would cost if you were to buy it separately.  Is it fully a service issue?  No, but having to go through the hassle of setting up multple accounts, and as you mention horrific pricing, you're left with multiple issue compounding into people not thinking it's worth it.  Same thing happened to cable, same thing will happen to streaming until some new way to pirate comes along making things way easier and the industry has to adapt to that vs having us adapt to them.  It happens every time.