Sony and VR

Started by the-pi-guy, Oct 02, 2018, 01:00 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

I believe Sony is in a unique position for VR.  They're already doing solidly with their first headset, but their future is far from certain.  If Sony wants to succeed in VR, these are the things that I believe Sony should do.

Hardware:
Sony should release a high end PSVR 2, that is backwards compatible with the PSVR.  PSVR tracking should be greatly improved, and the system itself should be leveraged as the low price option.  In a few years, having PSVR being an entry level $100 headset would be huge.  I think we are well on our way to getting there.  
The PSVR 2 should feature eye tracking, high resolution screens, large fov and improved tracking at a minimum.  Optimally, it should also be offering some other things.  Wireless isn't necessarily a must, yet, in my opinion.  

Sony should also release updated move controllers.  Something more in line with the Oculus touch would be fantastic.  They have all the benefits of being able to naturally grab in VR, while still retaining all the benefits of a standard gamepad controller.  

Software:
Sony needs to continue building high quality titles like Astro Bot.  New IPs like this need a lot of hype and excitement, but if they do it right, they can be successful.

Alternatively, Sony needs to release some built-for-VR mainstream games.  Sony doesn't quite have the brand power of Super Mario Bros, but they certainly have the ability to leverage third party options like Grand Theft Auto and Call of Duty.

Marketing:
The all important marketing.  Having quality hardware and software is important, but it's of course important that people hear about these things.  Marketers have only in the past few years, really figured out how to market the VR experience.  
Even still, it's an uphill battle, because there is just nothing like VR.

Trying to market VR, is like trying to market the Grand Canyon.  Sure you might be able to make it look pretty in a picture, but you can't show me what it's like to see it for myself.  

One thing Sony could leverage is more store demos.  It's an excellent opportunity to show people what VR is really like.  

I think if Sony were really able to pull all of this off, they could be leading VR next gen.  And VR could be huge.  

kitler53

for the record,.. i have never used psvr so my opinion may be worthless.

everything i've heard the resolution on the psvr is fine.  resoltion and eye tracking is not going to make VR go mainstream,.. price will.  even at $100 it is expensive because you have already have a ps4 or expensive pc.  moderate increases to resolution/fov is fine but should not be a priority.  low cost should.  

i kind of disagree about the need to go wireless.  wireless would go a long way to make it feel "cool" and not like a demo.  it is the kind of polish i think is needed to go mainstream.

having used ps move on the ps3 i would agree that a more reliable tracking mechanism is required.  unreliable motion tracking is the worst thing ever and move isn't good enought.  i disagree that it needs to be as fancy as the occulus touch.   too many people are obsessed with the idea that VR needs to be an experience like the star treck holodeck.  interacting with objects in VR will never feel right because hands can't really go through doors/desks.  a sword game will never feel good because the your hands will feel resistance when you hit an enemy.  physically walking to walk will never make sense because of the size of people's houses.

VR need to focus on what it does well and that is a sitting experience that highlights the immersion of headtracking camera control.

mostly i think psvr needs games.  i know it is hard to develop games without an audience but it is also hard to buy hardware without games.  i think the games need to be more like astro bot.  low stress experiences.  i will never play a horror game in vr.  it is annoying that like half the psvr games are in the horror genre.  

to tell you the truth,.. sony needs more games like astro bot even without vr.  i've go no beef with TLoU or horizon but sony needs a better library of family friendly fare.  i tried knack a few weeks ago and it was shame.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

everything i've heard the resolution on the psvr is fine.  resoltion and eye tracking is not going to make VR go mainstream,.. price will.  even at $100 it is expensive because you have already have a ps4 or expensive pc.  moderate increases to resolution/fov is fine but should not be a priority.  low cost should.  
That's why I think it's important Sony have a high end option and a cheap low end option.  
Selling the current PSVR for $100, or even $50, in a few years shouldn't be impossible.

interacting with objects in VR will never feel right because hands can't really go through doors/desks.  a sword game will never feel good because the your hands will feel resistance when you hit an enemy.  physically walking to walk will never make sense because of the size of people's houses.
This is partly why shooters are so popular in VR. You don't have to worry about having to simulate resistance somehow.  

But, I think you'd be surprised with how compelling those types of experiences can still be.  

One of my favorite VR games involves essentially placing towers with your hands. Superhot is very compelling, even though it involves a lot of hitting enemies.  

Rick and Morty, and Job Simulator are both incredible because you are able to mess around with stuff in your hands.  

Kerotan

Agreed. I also have never played vr. Imo they should release a psvr pro along with the ps5. Backwards compatible obviously but make it more powerful and along with the more powerful backwards compatible ps5 get games like gta v up and running on it.

Also agree on keeping the original psvr as a very cheap entry price. I think Sony have had a good start but in reality you need games like gta v running on the system to be truly mainstream.

Legend

Eye tracking is a must for me. It can be used for gameplay but primarily it'd enable foveated rendering and allow PlayStation to run more AAA games in VR.

Tracking could be as simple as getting PlayStation to support multiple cameras. Right now the only problem with PSVR is that it has relatively low tracking resolution when determining headset/controller distance from the camera.

having used ps move on the ps3 i would agree that a more reliable tracking mechanism is required.  unreliable motion tracking is the worst thing ever and move isn't good enought.
Move is great as long as the game has enough motion. Controller rotation can slowly drift if the controller is casually moving but it realigns itself from jerky motions. Move 2.0 needs to happen at some point but if Sony gets multiple cameras working then I think it's fine for a while.

I wonder though it it might be smart for Sony to abandon glowing lights and go with a different tracking system for next gen. The current system works pretty well and with a second camera could work great but adding more and more cameras would take up a lot of system resources. Unless of course they put processors in the cameras and do the tracking locally.

the-pi-guy

I wonder though it it might be smart for Sony to abandon glowing lights and go with a different tracking system for next gen. The current system works pretty well and with a second camera could work great but adding more and more cameras would take up a lot of system resources. Unless of course they put processors in the cameras and do the tracking locally.
I think it'd be smart to keep the current headsets somehow.
But if they can't, there should be a cheap replacement option.  

Legend

I think it'd be smart to keep the current headsets somehow.
But if they can't, there should be a cheap replacement option.  
PS5 will have some form of a camera accessory. Even if they design the next PSVR to do something different, the current version should be forward compatible.

Although I am kinda liking the idea of putting processors in the cameras. Vive base stations are $135 and the Oculus ones are $80. Sony should be able to put 2 cameras and a processing chip together for something around that range. Kinect originally was going to do something similar and this would be way less advanced than that.

Dr. Pezus

i tried knack a few weeks ago and it was shame.
No.

darkknightkryta

I think a controller like this would go a long way:

the-pi-guy

This is basically a very bad oculus touch controller.

Legend

You have no idea how badly I wanted that to be implemented on the PS4. It ended up working out for the best, but still. Seperate controllers are awesome.

darkknightkryta

Not so much the separate controllers, but rather dual analogue.

Legend

Not so much the separate controllers, but rather dual analogue.
Back on PS3 that was kinda a problem but I think PSVR hasn't been hurt by that. If a game really needs duel sticks then the DS4 is the best option. It's probably the most underrated part of PSVR. It just feels so natural to have the controller tracked in virtual reality like how astro bot is using it.

Otherwise most VR games are trying to do different types of locomotion. Move could benefit from having more input methods including analogue sticks but it's not like the sticks would be analogues to the ones on the DS4.

darkknightkryta

Back on PS3 that was kinda a problem but I think PSVR hasn't been hurt by that. If a game really needs duel sticks then the DS4 is the best option. It's probably the most underrated part of PSVR. It just feels so natural to have the controller tracked in virtual reality like how astro bot is using it.

Otherwise most VR games are trying to do different types of locomotion. Move could benefit from having more input methods including analogue sticks but it's not like the sticks would be analogues to the ones on the DS4.
well it didn't really work in Skyrim.  They used that teleporting non-sense.

Legend

well it didn't really work in Skyrim.  They used that teleporting non-sense.
Teleporting is good. Most pc vr games use it too.