Kotaku: The Difference Between Sony and Microsoft

Started by Legend, Apr 13, 2018, 03:29 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Kotaku: The Difference Between Sony and Microsoft | ResetEra

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2018/04/g...of-the-difference-between-sony-and-microsoft/
Time and time again, that's what people buy a console for. And while Microsoft's strategy makes perfect sense, consoles aren't always a sensible purchase. It's often emotional, impulsive, driven by the need to follow a hero. A character you want to believe in. A journeyClick to expand...
Came across this a little while ago, and I consider it personally a well written and concise article about the state of affairs at the moment. Is this just another puff piece piggy-backing off the God of War hype, or are there relevant points there we can analyze? As a lover of single player, linear experiences, needless to say Sony are more than fulfilling my cravings in the market at the moment. Are Xbox there for anyone else? Obviously this is all personal preference, but I think it's fair to say Xbox are lacking (at the moment), on single player, immerse experiences. These things take time to develop, I think the vacuum just appears larger at the moment with the absolute glut of titles Sony are producing and have officially announced down the pipeline. Or is this something the Xbox ecosystem just aren't in the market for? They have some killer titles as well, from Halo to Sea of Thieves, Gears of War and Forza, as well as third party acquisitions over the years. As a One owner, are you happy with what's out and what's announced coming? PS - apologies if this is another retread of "Microsoft, lack of titles, blah blah" we see every other day. Loved the maturity the article displayed, nothing more nothing less. ***OP EDIT*** - please read the article, and avoid whole heartily from devolving into another baseless console flame war thread. Truly believe both sides are catering to their own audiences, curious where YOU as the reader fall in to this. Happy/not happy, that sort of thing. Apologies if that comes across a little blunt.  

Legend

Also it's interesting that people think it's a single player vs multiplayer battle, but that isn't really the case.

Xbox One had Ryse, Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break, Recore, Lucky's Tale, and Ori all lack multiplayer. Meanwhile the only multiplayer exclusive game they've made this gen is Sea of Thieves.

The issue is that Microsoft game's aren't being received as well and fewer are being made. It's not that they have a focus and are going after a specific market.

darkknightkryta

We need a sequel to Ryse.

the-pi-guy

If Crytek doesn't die first...

Legend

If Crytek doesn't die first...
What year is it, 2016? They are dead outside of engine support.

Would love to see Microsoft greenlight that in response to Gow. It'd be smart too since Ryse 2 could make big changes to the gameplay without fans complaining much.

the-pi-guy

What year is it, 2016? They are dead outside of engine support.
For all intents and purposes, yes.  They still supposedly have 2 games in development.

DD_Bwest

my kid deals with console wars at school all the time cause  most of his class is x box. they often try to rag on ps4 but he just starts naming games they cant play

bloodborne,  infamous,  uncharted, horizon,  lbp3 (his favorite).  etc.  plus games that are coming like spiderman, god of war

and finishes with saying have fun for halo and forza lol

Legend

Kerotan

Greenlighting ryse 2 in response to god of war? I've heard it all now.

Microsoft tried really hard at the start of the gen buying exclusives like ryse and titanfall but it failed badly to match the ps4.

the-pi-guy

It took Sony 10 years to do what?  

Xevross

It took Sony 10 years to do what? 
Well I guess Sony first party wasn't amazing for a while. The big exclusives during PS1/ PS2 were all third party, bar a few.

BananaKing

Well I guess Sony first party wasn't amazing for a while. The big exclusives during PS1/ PS2 were all third party, bar a few.
But they were developing their first party during that time. GoW, gran Turismo, Ico, Shadow of the collosus, jack Jack and daxter, twisted netal and killzone were all PS2 games, its not like they didn't have a solid first party. It's just that the studios continued to grow and mature while allowed to have creative freedom.

The coalition is now resigned to making gears games, 343 are forced to work on halo and turn 10 on Forza.

Rare was ruined. Lionhead killed. And any remaining first party Dev was closed and ruined one way or another.

They let bungie slip through their grasp because they were too stupid to let them do something else. Their management of studios is flat out horrible. Sure, Sony, nintendo and every other publisher iced up as well. But not the scale that MS did, and that's evident by their first part right now in their third gen in the market. Both Sony and Nintendo has very strong first party in their 3rd gen (N64 and PS3). Microsoft is arguably in their weakest position first party wise right now. And their reputation is really taking a hit due to it.

Dr. Pezus

I think Sony has never had a more impressive first party lineup. I think that's what he means. They're pushing out multiple AAA hits per year

Meanwhile, MS is still rehashing the same 3 franchises with the occasional meh new IP