Sea of Thieves Review Thread: 68 MC (66 reviews), 66 OC (74 reviews)

Started by Xevross, Mar 22, 2018, 01:06 PM

previous topic - next topic

Xevross

http://opencritic.com/game/5412/sea-of-thieves
http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/sea-of-thieves

So Sea of Thieves launched in the beta state it was, without any added features. My fears about this game that I had from the start have been fully realised, it sounds like an extremely boring, empty experience. This Era post sums up everything bad about it, and lots of people are agreeing with it in the thread:

Sea of Thieves | Review Thread | ResetEra

What a shame, I really thought that there's no way they'd launch with this little to do in the game, but they did. It does sound like its going to be a lot of fun for  some people, especially those in groups who can make their own fun for a while, but they're still going to get bored quite quickly.

Legend

Ouch. Also I split this into its own review thread since this is a pretty big game.

It's the biggest Ms first party release since Gears in 2016. Wonder if it'll flop with sales too or find a large niche.

Xevross

Ouch. Also I split this into its own review thread since this is a pretty big game.

It's the biggest Ms first party release since Gears in 2016. Wonder if it'll flop with sales too or find a large niche.
I forgot MS first party had been so quiet. This isn't a good way to end that streak  :o

Dr. Pezus

Sounds like an early access kind of game

the-pi-guy

Xevross

68 on MC right now.  
Ouch that's bad .
Yeah, 67 now and I expect it'll keep falling. They released an early access game at full price. Actually, this game is very feature lacking even for early access.

Legend

Yeah, 67 now and I expect it'll keep falling. They released an early access game at full price. Actually, this game is very feature lacking even for early access.
I saw a post calling it a pirate chatroom.

Would love to see a postmortem and learn what the devs wanted. Not being able to design your character because they wanted variety is either stupid or an excuse for example.

Dr. Pezus

64 on OpenCritic  Probably gonna end up with 61-64 imo

Xevross

I saw a post calling it a pirate chatroom.

Would love to see a postmortem and learn what the devs wanted. Not being able to design your character because they wanted variety is either stupid or an excuse for example.
Yeah I really don't know what they thought they were doing. Its as if they were just making a modded RP server for another game, but removed the vast majority of the content.

SWORDF1SH

I'm not surprised from what I've seen of the game. I think the potential could of been huge but they've gone completely the wrong direction to make a u turn.

the-pi-guy

Not being able to design your character because they wanted variety is either stupid or an excuse for example.
That doesn't make any sense whatsoever.  :o

Legend

That doesn't make any sense whatsoever.  :o
Yeah they probably just don't have that many options for the character creator so by hiding it behind a randomizer it'd feel like there's more variety.

BananaKing

Expected. The game looked like trash since it's announcement

Dr. Pezus

This was supposed to mark the revival of Rare. Now we can probably expect the studio to be closed soonish

Xevross

This was supposed to mark the revival of Rare. Now we can probably expect the studio to be closed soonish
One of the only things going for this game is the promise of future support and updates. Closing Rare would make things even worse than it might first seem.

Go Up