Sea of Thieves Review Thread: 68 MC (66 reviews), 66 OC (74 reviews)

Started by Xevross, Mar 22, 2018, 01:06 PM

previous topic - next topic

Xevross

Boy, that certainly wouldn't speak for the genre.
Well I guess it depends if you like the driving style or not, I personally love it. And obviously that was my opinion.

You should try it now....  
Yeah, without the season pass it has dozens of hours of content, and with the season pass (which is probably the best value season pass ever) it has easily over a hundred hours. I've put over 500 hours in Driveclub apparently, no other racing game comes close for me.

the-pi-guy

Well I guess it depends if you like the driving style or not, I personally love it. And obviously that was my opinion.
Yeah, well that's just like your opinion man...  Oh wait.

Kerotan

SWORDF1SH

Wasn't DriceClubs problem the online side of the game not running properly and not lack of content?

the-pi-guy

Wasn't DriceClubs problem the online side of the game not running properly and not lack of content?
It was both.  People also complained the game was dull.
But they added a ton of cool stuff in the long run.  

Xevross

The reviewers mostly didn't see the launch server issues. It was one of the games which prompted most review sites to wait a few days after a game's launch nowadays, to check servers. It was mainly the lack of content and that online wasn't so fun. But they completely revamped the online and added loads of content.

I think there must be at least 5x more content now than at launch.

Legend

Reviews have slowed down. 69 +-1 seems to be final.

I think the last Microsoft game to score this low was ReCore.

Dr. Pezus

Legend

Xevross

Updated op
Lol I only just noticed this was my thread. Thx for doing it bby

the-pi-guy

Legend

Gamasutra - How Rare designed Sea of Thieves' infinite pirate generator

Author's name reminded me of Jaywood.  
Not the most informative article and it still doesn't make it sound like a reasonable decision.

Should have just let people design their character and put in similar restrictions to keep the faces from looking broken. Something like this is just lazy.

(yes, it's just lazy. It could be an artistic choice if it forced you to go with a random look but instead you just need to click refresh a bunch of times until you lose faith you'll find the one you want.)

((even if they really wanted to go with a system like this, it wouldn't have been that hard to improve. For example they could have let you "search" through the infinite pirates. Generate ~5 pirates and then have the player pick the one closest to what they want. Then repeat this a couple times with each new generation being more similar to the previous selection.))

the-pi-guy

Not the most informative article and it still doesn't make it sound like a reasonable decision.
Yeah.  
If anything, the article made me think it was that much worse of a decision.

Should have just let people design their character and put in similar restrictions to keep the faces from looking broken. Something like this is just lazy.

(yes, it's just lazy. It could be an artistic choice if it forced you to go with a random look but instead you just need to click refresh a bunch of times until you lose faith you'll find the one you want.)

((even if they really wanted to go with a system like this, it wouldn't have been that hard to improve. For example they could have let you "search" through the infinite pirates. Generate ~5 pirates and then have the player pick the one closest to what they want. Then repeat this a couple times with each new generation being more similar to the previous selection.))
Something like that last part would be kind of cool in theory.  Maybe not in practice, but yeah they could have done a lot more.  

Legend

Yeah.  
If anything, the article made me think it was that much worse of a decision.

Something like that last part would be kind of cool in theory.  Maybe not in practice, but yeah they could have done a lot more.  

Yeah it wouldn't be ideal at all since it'd probably show the lack of variation  :P

Also I'd actually love a feature like that in character creators. I'm really bad at designing faces so it'd be awesome to just cycle through similar ones to see which one looks good overall.

Go Up